Puppy baths

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Jul 2, 2006.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have heard and read a lot about bathing puppies. What are your experiences with this time honored ritual?

I have a Shih Tzu, 3 months old, 3.5 lbs. and I think it's about time for a bath...I have been around all types of mammals and animals (around Boy Scout camp, agricultural college, etc.) and baby puppies have a stronger smell than all living things, except for maybe human PhDs ;)

2. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Haha, nice. :)

With our puppies, we made a concerted effort to not get water in their ears (covering them, only putting water/shampoo up to their neck). We also made use of those shower-wipe-thingies... mixed results in terms of getting rid of their smell.

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I give my dogs showers, I personally find it much easier to clean them.

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Used to bathe my dog once every month , baby shampoo is good for soft coat and general cleanlyness, if the puppy is really nasty try dish washing detergent, gentle on the skin but tough on oilyness and smell.
    Ears are not a big deal if you rinse them out properly and dried them. Eyes are a problem especially with breeds that have the dark "tear marks" , if you have a dog with them you know what I am talking about.

Now: I bathe my cats once every six-eight weeks. one of them actually likes getting bathed especially the massaging showerhead part...he actually purrs.:D

5. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Your dog is small, just get some dog shampoo and throw her in a kitchen or laundry room sink. Just don't get things wet or soapy you wouldn't enjoy, ie. ears, eyes, mouth, etc.. It's pretty simple.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd do it in a bathtub as well. That, or outside with the hose. Both methods are easier for the owner. I doubt a bath could be quite as easy. It's hard enough to give me a bath, let alone a dog.

Meh, once you get aclimatized to the odours, it's not so bad.

*looks around the room*

7. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Thanks, all!

I think it will come time soon to wash the puppy.

The PhD remark was just an observation I have made over the years and something I hope I could use for the local townies' open mike on wednesdays :)

8. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I don't bathe my puppy. period. he's too crazy

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Um....maybe he acts crazy because his body constantly itches. ;)

10. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

No seriously, he's the most spastic dog on the planet. Rumor has it he's never been still a moment in his life.

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

my dog absolutely hates water, getting her into the bathtub in the winter is mostly a trick and she fights like hell to stay out of there when she picks up on it. usually we have to have one person incharge of keeping her calm and one to wash her.

my best advice is to make sure you rinse very thoroughly when you're done using whatever you use. You wouldn't want some dried up soap making you itchy would you?

Sounds a bit crazy, but she won't go on wet grass unless you go with her / make her. and if you take her on a walk and the pavement is wet she'll walk in the grass on the odd chance that its not as wet as the pavement.

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Are you sure that your dog is not a cat? ;)

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My ex and I started to give our "boy" Chewey baths from the get go. He was 8 weeks old at the time. The baths and massages we gave him each night as a pup made him the darling of groomers and veterinarians.

Attached are some pics from my love, Chewey's, first bath. And a pic after the "ordeal". I may have "issues" with my ex, but he did know how to raise a good pup.

Attached Files:

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Aww, what a cute dog you have there Chip NoVaMac! :)

15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I don't know, she's a 60lb knee high wild black beast. She's overly friendly and could probably easily knock over a child or elderly person at full speed...
    I was always told she was a lab mix but maybe you're right?

hehe

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

If that is a cat, then it must be part mountain lion! :eek: ;) :)

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Had, you'll have to search the many posts here on my having to given my "boy" up last year. :mad:

I still love him. And will look for any opportunity to speak the best of him too. :)

18. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Ha see my 25lbs kitty enjoying his bathtime
    notice no restraints, no bloody gashes...:p
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

So it looks like a combination between starting early or a genetic toss of the dice. Cute dogs and cats.

Perhaps a dog's smell is his standing, resume, business card, memories and that's why they hate getting the smell washed off of them? If humans needed just a nose and a butt to get everything in order socially, it would be much easier, you know...no mind games...hey, I could use that for a stand up routine skit, too :)

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The best advice I can give is to start bathing them early, and making it as pleasant for them as possible.

Same for grooming.

It's no problem to wrangle a 20# puppy who doesn't want to take a bath or get it's nails cut, it's a much different problem with an 80# dog. So start early, get them used to it, make it fun (with treats if necessary) and they will let you do it throughout their lives.

It's just much easier to nip these kind of issues in the bud so that they don't become much larger problems later.

As a side note, every so often when I have my dog with me, we stop by the vets office for a "fun visit". I bring him in, the office assistants love him for a bit and give him treats and praise, and we leave again.

That way he doesn't automatically associate the vet with bad things, since usually he's there for something unpleasant.

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry to hear about that Chip NoVaMac. :(

BTW, your cat is very cute Leareth! :)

22. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

so today, in an identical type of bath with 3" inches of slightly lukewarm water, i gave the nearly four pound puppy at bath and washed him with johnson's and johnson's baby shampoo from the neck down and used a hairdryer to dry him off

he seemed to like the whole ordeal

the next day i used a warm rag and cleaned off his head and used the hairdryer again and he was ok

thanks for all the suggestions

23. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

My dog has hated water ever since her first real encounter with it....

We were walking along a trail with a small bridge crossing a little pond, so I thought it would be funny to push her in. Well, apparently the pond was about 4 feet deep (she is a 20lb beagle) and it was kindof a cheap shot on my part.

In any case, she got completely submerged and probably inhaled some water through her little nose :(

Poor little dog hates when I try to give her baths now... :(