Purchase a Gamecube... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Games' started by DeSnousa, May 19, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

With Gamecube prices low as, and even lower on ebay, do you think it would make a wise investment or should I hold out for the Wii?. It has got me thinking that it would be a great console to get because I would have a small catalogue of games to play with on the Wii (the Wii is backward compatible right?). I also have never owned a Nintendo console (have plenty of Gameboys) and the DS has made me fall in love with gaming again, so naturally I would love some first party Nintendo games to play over the semester break, all of which can be found cheap on ebay also :D

If I did what would be some must have games? I looking at Zelda: Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine and Mario Kart. However with that said I already have a PS2 which I could survive with, plus plenty of uncompleted games not to mention :eek: Then again the Gamecube can be had for the same price of a new release PS2 game. Decisions, decisions. Help me decide :)

2. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I was thinking the same thing as you. With them being only $100 right now brand new its hard not to grab one and start a small collection now for the Wii later. The only reason I won't do it is if I did get one the mrs's probably wouldn't be to keen on picking up another console just six months down the line.

"Whats wrong with the one you got?" I'll hear.

If you don't have the same issue and you have the money I'd say go for it. The Wii probably won't be here till October at the earliest.:(

3. macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

yes!

I purchased a gamecube relatively late (less than a year ago) and I have never regretted it. New or used it is really cheap and the games a plain fun. Once Wii comes out, the games will still work! Enjoy it now!

4. macrumors 68030

risc

The GameCube is a great console I bought mine late in its life cycle (I gave it away when I got my 360) and if you like the games on it I say sure go for it. It has great graphics, no load times, and some of the games are down right fantastic!

As for must have games there are heaps but my favourite all time GameCube game is Ikaruga. You'll probably find it on Ebay.

5. macrumors 604

ravenvii

Do get Metroid Prime. It's down to $20 now. It really shows you what the GameCube is capable of graphically. Wind Waker and Super Smash Bros. Melees are definites. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes is another good game that you can pick up for $20. The GameCube is an awesome system, you'll have fun with it.

However, if I were you I'd just hold off and get the Wii. It's not that far off, the Wii isn't that much more expensive, and it can play GameCube games.

6. macrumors 68030

SamIchi

It's defintely worth the purchase if you enjoy Nintendo games. You gotta get Super Smash Brothers Melee, me and my cousins played that so much.

7. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Metroid Prime is a MUST HAVE, as is Super Smash Bros. Especially Smash Bros. Best multiplayer game ever.
    Paper Mario is also a good RPG. And definitely get Zelda and Mario Sunshine (if you can look past the childish 'sunshine' theme, it's a very good game).

Anyway, I would say to save for a Wii. However, there is one good part- on the side of the Wii are ports for GameCube controllers and memory cards, and the Wii is fully backwards compatable with GameCube games. So when the Wii comes out, you can plug all your GameCube accessories into the Wii whenever you get it and play all the games, and just swap out the main console. So no big loss if you get a GameCube now.

8. macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I have a gamecube I'm willing to sell if you want, lots of games. PM me if you want!:)

9. macrumors 68000

sam10685

it seems like u know the launch price and date to this bad boy. please do tell us...

10. thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Thanks all for your thoughts, alot have said to wait for the Wii and I think that is a major point as its not that far off and save some bucks :) However now I am having thoughts about buying a Gameboy Micro, again I was looking at it, and its cheap and I already own GBA games. I like the idea of carrying it every where I go, its so small and the screen is amazing :D

Ahh, I think I better of just saving my money as I already have a DS to play GBA games :) You can tell Nintendo have really done well, as there is a system for every one, only I want them all :p

Edit: I also plain on buying a DS lite ;)

11. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo has confirmed it is less than the 360 core (so $250 or less), and several magazines have quoted a $250 price point with $200 under consideration. GameCube launched at $200. And Nintendo said it will be in the fourth quarter of this year.

12. macrumors Core

Dagless

In the UK it might be wise to wait. Our cubes cannot output anything greater than 480i and no S-Video either.
    The Wii outputs as Component natively, which can be adapted to VGA (unless Nintendo release an accessory for that, a la Xbox 360). Which means a MUCH better image on those Cube games.

But for my absolute must have games-

Metroid Prime series. Nothing more needs to be said. This is THE defining game on the Gamecube, and last time I checked the 2nd highest rated game on Metacritic, just behind Ocarina of Time. It is THAT good.
    Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes. Very fun, possibly the best storyline since ever.
    Smash Bros Melee. No game held my attention as long as this.
    F-Zero GX. I'd call it the best racing game ever. Downright fun.
    Windwaker. Enjoyed this just as much as Ocarina of Time on the 2nd play through. I didn't notice the beauty the 1st time around.
    Sunshine. Say what you like about it; it was very enjoyable for me.

I could take of leave the rest. Fun games. but those got me through the past 5 years.

13. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Dont forget Pikmin 1 & 2. I love those games... Oh & Animal Crossing too.

14. macrumors 68000

sam10685

ahh... i think it could possibly be less than $200 because in this interview with perrin kaplan, she says "it will be a price we will all really like and it will cause us to want to line up to want to buy it." (although i think all console launches do that to people.)

15. macrumors 68020

howard

do you have a console now? if not go for the gamecube. if $100 is not that expensive for you, then $200 for a brand new console later this year shouldn't be to much trouble (if that is indeed what it will start at).

if it does start at $200 nintendo is gonna kill it!

16. macrumors Core

Dagless

Everyone is saying $200. So my guess is $200.
    For $2000 you could just buy a Wii dev kit and play tech demo's all day long until it's released. Probably plays cube games too.

17. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Don't forget Super Paper Mario is coming out for the cube too...

18. macrumors 6502a

19. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's possible, as Nintendo has really not confirmed any kind of pricing. $200-$250 is the most likely, but hey, it could be $150, who knows? I think $200-$250 is the most realistic though. $150 sounds too low, especially from dev interviews I've read.

20. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Go for it man...GC is great. make sure pick up

RE4
    Metriod prime 1 & 2
    Zelda: the wind waker
    veiwtiful joe
    pikmin 1 & 2

Great games

Bless

21. macrumors 6502a

The Gamecube is worth buying JUST for Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe is very good as well, Mario Kart not bad, Zelda Windwaker, Paper Mario is interesting as well.

But seriously if you were to just get ONE game, get Resident Evil 4, i was just playing it and I don't think I was ever on the edge of my seat as I was playing that game - i think i broke a sweat too. damn,

22. macrumors 68000

sam10685

if it's 150, i'll get like-- 8 of them. (actually probably not, but i'll deffinitly get more than one.)

23. macrumors demi-god

Spanky Deluxe

Get a gamecube now and have your fun. Come Wii release time sell the cube system and keep the games for potential use on the Wii.

I've got two gamecubes bought with the intention of 8 player mariokart, have two broadband adapters and all!! I never quite got round to setting it up though!!! :-S

24. macrumors 65816

My mate bought one recently with Mario Kart. I lost and got in a huff, so I say don't buy one...

25. macrumors 6502a

Another vote for 'no'. I'd explain why, but I don't feel like fighting off fanboys today.

Just save up for the next system and the new games.