Purchase an Intel Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bluefiberoptics, Feb 26, 2006.

1. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2005
    I have been wanting to have a Mac for a while. With the switch to Intel, I figured a Mac Mini intel would be a good choice.

But I already have a powerful Desktop PC computer. How can I justify buying an intel Mac Mini? :(
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Being that currently the Mac Mini only comes with a PPC processor, good luck with that. :rolleyes:
  3. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    think he is assuming an intel Mac Mini on Tuesday

buy one, get a KVM switch use PC for games, Mac Mini for Internet, AIM, ect
  4. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    as "powerful" as your PC is, it probably runs Windows.

Windows is god-awful. Unless you need to run some kind of special programs/games that only run on windows, using Mac OSX is just the only way to go.

I used windows for most of my life, so I'm not really biased. I switched last May, and I would absolutely never go back. The only warning I would give about getting a new intel mac would be if you use programs that haven't become Universal yet.
  5. ieani macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2006
    the states for now
    Exactly how powerful is the PC? Not that the mini will in any way be a rival but PC users can often be confused by Mac's and their PPC specs.
  6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    That's a big assumption. I wouldn't contemplate purchasing a product that hasn't even been announced yet.
  7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2006
    A Mac Mini is a budget solution to running OS X. Think of it like one of those $400 Dells, without the monitor, keyboard, mouse, other extras, minus some ports, without much of any room to expand on. I don't know about you, but you'd have to buy it for me to even consider it, lol. How can you justify buying it? I wouldn't if I were you. Now, if you are in the market for a laptop and really want OS X for some reason, you could look into the Intel version of the iBook whenever it comes out. That would seem reasonable, but not buying a Mac Mini.
  8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Justify it by the fact that you want a Macintosh. And the Mac Mini is the cheapest in the lineup. So if on Tuesday there is nothing new, go buy a PPC Mini, and have some fun.
  9. symlink macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2005
    I guess its the cheapest mac computer to buy, however, you then need to add keyboard, mouse and monitor - and if you get a good 20" monitor, you're looking at close to iMac territory...
  10. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    If new minis come out I'd say go for it! Since I got my headless emac setup my big computer has only been turned on to transfer files off. Should I get a couple of external sata hard drive enclosures I doubt I'd really use it anymore. I'd still want it for the occasional game but I only play games for a few days solidly and then not at all for about a month.
    I was worried about how I'd feel using a mac as my main computer but now I realise that its just so nice. Expose is simply magical. The only thing that I really noticed when I switched my PC on today is how much nicer it is to deal with the filesystem and folders. In my opinion OS X is HORRIBLE on that front. I hate it that the folders don't get listed before the other files and the structuring of the documents seems archaic to me.
  11. psycho- macrumors member

Feb 19, 2006
    Del Mar, CA

It's not archaic..it's just different; though I felt the same when I first started on OSX years ago. Funny thing though...I just boxed up my desktop to throw away. Between my HP NC6000 work computer and my mac laptop, i was pretty much 100% happy with my needs. 100% of everything i could do on a PC i did on my mac....the pc just fell to the wayside. So after System 7, I came back to the mac on OSX
  12. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    You really are the nicest to noobies. :mad: :rolleyes:
    Lighten up... just a wee bit.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Today it is. But Tuesday, who knows how Apple will (re)position it.
  14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    You really are the most oversensitive. You should take your own advice and lighten up.