Purchase decision. . .

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by linux2, May 5, 2002.

1. linux2 macrumors newbie

I was all set to purchase my first Mac. . .that being the new iMac, when I saw that Apple has released another product called eMac. Now I am not sure which way to go. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the matter. Things like are they the same performance wise? The 15" flat panel vs the 17" flat screen etc. My needs are not heavy duty. I burn cd's occasionally and play around a bit with Photoshop. I am not a gamer but I use my broadband connection alot : P. Seriously, some helpful input would be great. Thanks as a future mac'er.

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

You can only get the eMac if you are in education, if you have the money I would go with the iMac because I prefer LCD monitors but then again the eMac monitor looks very impressive, the 800mhz G4 in the iMac (High-End) is very fast, but not by so much that it would totally outpace the 700 in the eMac at most tasks.

I would go for the iMac.

Hope this helps,

Ensign

3. linux2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I was aware of the stipulation for the eMac. My wife is an educator/teacher here in the US. Actually the two units similarly configured are only about $100 (US) difference in price. I guess a problem will be that the eMac is brand new and therefore no one having a chance to play with one. . . .yet

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

ya I would go with the iMac between the two. performance wise they should be about the same, you're basically just paying an extra 100 for the LCD, which is a pretty good deal IMO

5. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

the new imac is just so elegant, simple

the lcd is nice... very nice for surfing a lot

and although this may sound sappy... the new imac has a personality like the original imac did... the major reason why i'm such a sucker for macs is the way i bond with them... my quicksilver, old powerbook g3, and i have formed quite a bond... i feel the imac is a more "friendly" computer when compared to the emac

that really was sappy ;)

again, go with the imac

6. linux2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Be sappy all you want : ) But how do you know you wouldn't 'bond' with the eMac? I agree about the flat panel. I use an 18" sony flat panel with my PC. But the extra screen real estate of the 17" flat screen would come in handy.

7. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

hehe... i'm not saying you won't bond with the eMac... i'm just saying the new iMac seems like it was built to be bonded with (incredible ergonomics & such)

the iMac was designed for home usage (or at least personal usage)

the eMac was designed for student usage in labs or in classrooms

i'd prefer the iMac because of this

8. linux2 thread starter macrumors newbie

On a side note. . .I use a D-Link wireless router to share my broadband connection. Would both the iMac and the eMac be able to share that connection?

9. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I do not know about the connection but I would get the iMac. The eMac is very uglie to me and think about trying to selling it again in 2 years... who is gonna buy such uglie thing? the iMac is a powerfull and good looking computer.

I get the iMac.

About connectors... both of them are equally compatible I think.

10. linux2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the iMac seems to be winning hands down so far. By compatible, I assume you mean with something like an aircard? Is there a place to install an aircard in these machines?

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think it comes down to a personal preference. What do you like better. If you're basing it on performance you can get an extra 100 MHz out of the new iMac, but thats about it. The eMac is airport ready, so you'll have to add it as extra. And the eMac has an optional tilt stand that makes it look a little more appealing, at least to me.

Here's a pic

Attached Files:

12. linux2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah for the most part your right. Was just looking for perhaps a compelling reason one way or another. I probably will stick with my original plan of buying an iMac. You say the eMac is airport ready, but what about the iMac?

13. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

both are airport ready:

iMac Airport card goes into the base (opens from the bottom)

eMac Airport card goes in right above the cdrom drive

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

This may help a little. It's like a questionaire. For every "yes" answered to each question scores one point. For every "no" answered, no points are awarded. Try to avoid "maybe".

Do you feel that all you need is a simple and basic computer?
    Do you have plenty of space on your desk or workstation for a computer?
    Are you looking for something affordable?
    Do you feel that an LCD display is NOT a necessity?
    Will you most likely be using high resolution for ANY tasks from now?

If your score is a 3 or better, go with the eMac. If you score 2 or less, go with the iMac.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

15. linux2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent info. I was afraid that the airport cards would only work with Apples wireless airport.

16. linux2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh great. Throw a monkey wrench into the works :confused: That last question is the key, isn't it?

17. linux2 thread starter macrumors newbie

*sigh* Going to call it a night and sleep on it. Thanks to everyone for the help.

18. agent302 macrumors newbie

A word of warning:

While the eMac has a max resolution of 1280x960, it's only at 72 Hz, at which I at least definitely see a flicker. To me, it starts to be passable at 1152x864, where it runs at 80 Hz, but at that resolution, you don't gain much from the iMac, where you could be completely flicker free on the screen. So, if you use your computer for any moderate length of time, your eyes will thank you if you get the iMac.