Purchase Macbook in the UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jezster, Jan 22, 2007.

1. jezster macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2007
    Hi All,

I'm looking for sources to purchase a black macbook in the UK. Any suggestions other than John Lewis, Amazon and the Apple shop/website?

Also do the UK Macbooks have UK or US keyboards? I have been told that the keyboard is USA style, i.e. @ over the 2 rather than ".

Any information would be most welcome.

Kind Regards,
  2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    my macbook has @ sign over the number 2 - i assumed that was UK layout (even though it differs from windows keyboards)

the 3 ertailers you mentioned are your best bet really.. although ebuyer.com sell them too, and also tesco stores (might not be all of them).. just doa google search :) plus it depensd if u just want the stock model or upgrade options etc.. in which case :apple: online may be your best bet?

3. jezster thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 17, 2007
    Thanks for that - i'll go shopping this weekend. I believe a Black Macbook with 2Gig of RAM will be good so I can run Parallels. Sadly I have a few applications the kids like to use and they are Windows only.

As for the keyboard it appears they must use the US style by default then. Not to worry, I'll just have to get used to it. My Linux box uses the UK-Layout and the " is over the 2 key.

Kind Regards,

4. Sly macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2003
    Airstrip One
    I wouldn't recommend them but PC World, Currys, and Toys R Us sell Apple equipment including Macbooks. John Lewis or an Apple store is the place to buy though.
  5. grum macrumors regular

Jul 22, 2006
    My local PC World had a pretty good offer on coreduo blackbooks a month or so ago. Not that I would normally recommend even going into such a place
  6. a456 macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2005
    PC World has recently been getting end of line Mac hardware - they sold off iSights cheap and Core Duo iMacs. Currys were selling iPod Hi-Fis at 30 pounds off as well.
  7. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    They have UK keyboards in that you'll have a £ sign over the 3. It's just that the Brits have gone their own way for years on the other keys. It's not really a US keyboard - more than international English one that the Brits changed to cope with £ signs ;)
  8. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2006
    There are other differences between UK/US Apple keyboards, too. For example, in the US there is a key with the word 'Option' printed on it; in the UK it says 'alt'; also, the key for § and ± is to the left of the numbers on a UK keyboard: I understand that position has the key with ` and ~ in the US. Backtick and tilde in the UK are to the left of Z.

Yes, it's true that American Windows keyboards have the @ sign above the 2, but British Mac keyboards also have the @ sign there. You get used to it pretty quickly.