Purchase question.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by spoonie1972, Nov 9, 2012.

  1. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto
    #1
    Macpro 4,1 machines, single-processor are going between $1,000-1,200 here in the Toronto area.

    If i'm looking for the fastest thing possible (for logic audio), would it make more sense to:

    1. wait it out for a 5,1 2-processor machine to hit the sub $2,000 mark
    2. go ahead and get it and upgrade the EFI & cpu with a 6-core 3.x Ghz chip (now we're at around $1,800) and add ram (more $)
    3. keep waiting for the 6,1 mac pro

    I'm not in dire straights to get a new machine; my mbp has actually proved to be faster than my 3,1 (geeks at 10,999), but can't go above 16gb ram as no one makes 16gbx2 chips ...yet?

    in the same situation, what would you do? wait it out? I have funds set aside to do whatever, but part of me thinks it's good money thrown after bad if the new pro has all the stuff we've been pining for.
     
  2. macrumors 601

    derbothaus

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2010
    #2
    That will likely never be an attainable price point if they stick with Xeon and they'd have to for dual procs unless Intel changes as well.
    You should wait it out. I have a hex but I bought it at launch in 2010. It's great but I wouldn't buy one now not when either line deprecation drops prices further or new models get released. Something's got to give.
     
  3. spoonie1972, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012

    thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto
    #3
    thx for the feedback.
     

Share This Page