Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bubbleboyjones

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Quick question. I purchased an audio book on itunes. The ebook version is also in the iBooks store. Is there any way I can get the ebook version for free from Apple since I purchased the audiobook?

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Thanks

Thats what I thought. Pretty lame considering the audiobook is $20.

Audio book are completely different medium than eBooks or print books. Just like books at the bookstore, you don't get the eBook for free, or the audio book. Each one is an individual item and are typically purchased separately.

bubbleboyjones

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Audio book are completely different medium than eBooks or print books. Just like books at the bookstore, you don't get the eBook for free, or the audio book. Each one is an individual item and are typically purchased separately.

I understand they're different mediums but having an ebook along with the audio book would be a nice gesture towards the consumer who paid $20 for their product. Its very common for bands to give download codes for mp3s on vinyl purchases. Hell I even gotten a free CD along with the purchase of a vinyl record. It would be nice if wouldn't have to pay another $13 to get the ebook file(which is a tiny file) of something I just bought the audio of.

I guess thats what torrents are for.....

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I understand they're different mediums but having an ebook along with the audio book would be a nice gesture towards the consumer who paid $20 for their product. Its very common for bands to give download codes for mp3s on vinyl purchases. Hell I even gotten a free CD along with the purchase of a vinyl record. It would be nice if wouldn't have to pay another $13 to get the ebook file(which is a tiny file) of something I just bought the audio of.

I guess thats what torrents are for.....

You do realize that mp3s, vinyl and CDs are all audio form, right? Whereas ebook and audio book are two completely different formats? The disparity between physical book and ebook is a bit different, IMO. If I buy a physical book that I decide I'd like to read on my ereader, then I should be able to do that. The content is exactly the same and I've already paid for the right to read that content. If I want to read it on my screen instead of on paper, well, that's about the same as the difference between listening to a CD and an mp3. However, an audiobook has new content. Specifically, it has an actor (sometimes the author) reading the story aloud. In some ways, you might argue the difference between an audiobook and an ebook is like the difference between buying an album and getting the complete sheet music for the album. I imagine that few and far between are the albums that include the complete sheet music for free.

Expressing a wish that there would be a way to get both as a package deal that would be less than the price of two individual things combined is one thing. But suggesting that just because you bought one version you SHOULD GET another version for free is a bit of a sense of entitlement, don't you think? Why not one price, let's say the $13 that you quoted, to get the ebook, physical book, audio book and the movie version? Hey, you already paid for it, right? So you deserve to get it in every format that it exists! And, hey, if they won't give them to you for free, then you may as well go and steal them!

Also, do you honestly think that file size has anything to do with the value of the file? Really?

[/rant]

bubbleboyjones

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
You do realize that mp3s, vinyl and CDs are all audio form, right? Whereas ebook and audio book are two completely different formats? The disparity between physical book and ebook is a bit different, IMO. If I buy a physical book that I decide I'd like to read on my ereader, then I should be able to do that. The content is exactly the same and I've already paid for the right to read that content. If I want to read it on my screen instead of on paper, well, that's about the same as the difference between listening to a CD and an mp3. However, an audiobook has new content. Specifically, it has an actor (sometimes the author) reading the story aloud.

Yes I understand the difference between the eBook and the audio book is that the author sat in front of a mic and read the entire book in a recording device. That's why I paid a 60% premium over the eBook version to compensate for that. I happened to think it would be a nice gesture for the author/publisher to also included the eBook version since its the exact same content that I paid to hear the author speak out loud.

In some ways, you might argue the difference between an audiobook and an eBook is like the difference between buying an album and getting the complete sheet music for the album. I imagine that few and far between are the albums that include the complete sheet music for free.

That's not even close to the same thing and I can't believe anyone with some kind of music background would say that. I've purchased plenty of sheet music as a teen. Sheet music for albums are almost always done by a third party, ex. studio musician who sits downs and figures out the music(and it certainly is not accurate to what the original artist actually plays because there's always some interpretation on how a chord is technically played for example).

While it's true that an audiobook and eBook are different formats, you're missing the point that audiobook and eBook deliver the same content. It's just the author reading the eBook out loud which I paid a 60% premium for. Call me crazy but I think its lame to charge someone full price for the eBook version when they purchased the audio version with that much of a premium. If you think sheet music has the same content as an album then please file a lawsuit against your music teacher. That's like saying someone's interpretation on the programming code for a video game has the same content as the video game itself. Ridiculous analogy.....

Also, do you honestly think that file size has anything to do with the value of the file? Really?

My point is I could understand the publisher not wanting to included a file for free if it was 1 GB for obvious bandwidth reasons.

bubbleboyjones

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Amazon gives you the audiobook from Audible.com for $4 if you buy the Kindle book.

Thats probably the best deal you are going to get for now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000827761

Thats a good deal and completely reasonable.

So it would have cost me $17 for both on Amazon, and $33 for both on Apple. That's only a 90%+ difference. :rolleyes: Charging full price for both is lame and I will be taking my business elsewhere until this changes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.