Purchased iTunes Music

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by McApple, Mar 17, 2005.

1. McApple macrumors newbie

I am selling my computer because I am getting a new computer soon, but I want to keep my purchased music collection. Is there any way I can transfer the songs or burn them to a CD unprohibited, or does it not permit such actions? :confused:

2. Gee macrumors 65816

You can transfer your iTunes library over on a CD or by linking the two computers together (via firewire or ethernet cable). Then deauthorize your old computer in the iTunes 'Advanced' menu and authorize your new computer by (i think) playing one of your music store tracks (should ask for your password). If you copy music over by connecting the computers this won't count as a 'burn'; if you burn the library to CD as mp3s, I'm not sure whether it counts...

3. kevinuaa macrumors member

You can burn unlimited cds, just not the same playlist.
    copy the files either by network or by CD as AACs. the files can go anywhere, but the computer needs to be authorized for them to work.
    Deauthorize your old computer (Advanced > Deauthorize)
    and authorize the new one.

4. McApple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Ill give it a shot if I get my new computer before I sell this one. :D

5. hughdogg macrumors member

Springfield, MA - Birthplace of Basketball
  6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Make sure you copy the actual files (residing in your iTunes library), as opposed to burning audio CDs of them, because burning audio CDs changes the format and would result in a loss of quality if you ripped the music back to the computer. Whether you use networking or data-format CDs or DVDs, you simply want to move the files you downloaded from the iTunes Music Store to another computer, just as you'd move your word-processing files or photo collection.

Deauthorizing/authorizing the old/new computer is what makes the files unusable/usable on the old/new computer.