Purchasing 20" iMac G5 NOW

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by coconn06, Sep 16, 2004.

1. coconn06 macrumors regular

Has anyone placed an order for an iMac G5 in the last few days, and have an estimated ship date?

I really want to buy one now, but I have the option to wait a couple months and get a discount on one. However, I want it ASAP, so if I can get it soon enough, I will.

Thanks

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

some people report that they are shipping now. Some have already gotten theirs. Don't know what the wait time on new orders is though.

3. coconn06 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I understand that some are shipping now, and some people are receiving theirs. But those people ordered them when they were first announced.

That's why I posted looking for people who ordered them in the last few days.

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I'm not sure about those ordering now.....but I ordered mine on 9/1/04 (2 days after they were announced I believe). Mine has not shipped yet and still states 'on or before 10/1/04'.....but mine is a BTO 17". If you ordered yours now I'd bet that it will be at least a 2 week wait for standard (no upgrade) orders.....probably longer.

5. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

If you go to your local Apple Store, you might be able to pick one up today. Chances are, it's going to be October before it ships if you order it online.

JOD8FY

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I placed an order for a BTO 20" last friday (the 10th), and the estimated ship date for it is 10.08.04. Ouch.

7. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I also ordered a BTO 20" (only upgraded the RAM) last Friday (the 10th), and the estimated shap date I got is October 12, 4 days after you.

8. coconn06 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info pdpfilms and Elan0204. I wonder if I order the machine in early November, it would ship must sooner, relatively (as in, not a month after the order, but make a week or two).

9. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Why wait till November when if you order now, you'll likely get it mid-october or sooner? I'd go for it now, because there's always the chance that the stock will stay low, and shipping times will stay the same or even increase. Come on, get it! Get it!

EDIT: Whoops, just read your first post. Discounts are nice too. How are you getting a discount?

10. coconn06 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a friend who's an Apple genius :cool:

They get a few 15% discounts per year they can give out to family and friends.

I think I'll probably stick with my plan to get the discount, also praying that inventory will be solid by that time, so it'll only be a few weeks later that I'll get the iMac than if I ordered it now.