Purchasing a Monitor is complicated, advice needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CrackedButter, Nov 9, 2006.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    I have a 12" PB and I'm going to buy the mini DVI cable. I am interested in acquiring an external monitor as well but while I need DVI to make the connection. I don't know which DVI is on Apple's mini DVI cable or which DVI the monitor has. I know there are 3 types or DVI and they all have slightly different connectors. I did a google search and got this informative site:

This is the monitor in question:

(amazon.com also have this monitor)

Now I am a thorough person and try to find these things out myself but nowhere can I find the particular type of DVI it has. I've looked on various online stores, inside individual online reviews, customer reviews (incase they provide a little nugget of knowledge) and the parent website.

How do I tell the difference so I don't have a problem when the monitor gets here?
  2. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

Feb 21, 2006
    I think the difference between the three different connectors is mainly on the side of the computer. If a monitor has DVI, I think it is always DVI-D (the purely digital connection). If it allows analog input, it usually has an aditional VGA connector. I think the mini-DVI to DVI cable provides your PB with a DVI-D port, which should work on any Monitor equiped with DVI-input. The powerbook won't support dual link DVI, but that is only required for very large monitors right now (like the 30" Apple display).