Purchasing a new backpack, any advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacsomJRR, Feb 13, 2006.

1. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2003
    San Diego
    I'm purchasing a new backpack (my current one is one thread away from busting apart) and I thought to myself... "hmmm, I wonder if the fine folks who post on MacRumors would have any suggestions for a sweet laptop/backpack"

Can anyone offer me any advice? I'm looking for something with tons of pockets, extremely durable, and can hold a laptop (MBP coming soon), although I probably won't be putting the laptop in the bag that often so it isn't a must. It has to be big because I carry a lot of books around with me during the day.

2. AJBMatrix macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2006
    Athens, Georgia
    I have had my Samsonite for over 2 years and it has held up great. The first backpack that actually lasted me. I use it to go to class with my laptop. Has a nice slot for the lappy. I think I am going to forever stick with them.
  3. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    West Monroe, Louisiana

I just bought a sweet booq bag from (google it) with a laptop sleeve. It set me back 200 for the complete "system" but I will probably not replace it for the rest of my college career (3 more years HOPEFULLY)
  4. supersize macrumors member

Nov 2, 2004
    I second the vote for a booq backpack. I've had mine for about a year and I like it alot. it has tons of space and lots of other compartments for random stuff. I would definately get there "system" package it came with a sleeve for my 12" powerbook and a cell phone pouch thing (which I've never used). But it's well worth the money.
  5. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
  6. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    I'm a college student. At the begging of the fall semester, I did a huge search for the pefect school bag for my 15" powerbook and books.

I tried a timbuk2 commute and didn't really like it for school purposes. A little tight for everything, and over the shoulder bags get quite heavy when carrying around school books.

I ended up going with a Dakine Duel. It wasn't too expensive, it's comfortable and has a seperate sleeve for my powerbook when I need it. It doesn't offer the best protection, but it suites me fine. There is room for a sleeve if you wanted more protection.

I think Northface has pretty good durable laptop/backpacks.

Good luck.
  7. Dr. J macrumors member

Jan 9, 2006
    I used a Targus sport deluxe, for four years. It still looks brand new, and is much cheaper than a booq. I did buy a marware sleeve for extra protection though.
  8. jesaja macrumors member

Sep 15, 2003
    Yes! definitely. I have one, too - they are expensive, but they look cool, have super features and are nearly indestructable. Plus they've got sth like 99 years of warranty...

PS: I don't work there or sth :rolleyes: - I just love this bag!
  9. Sox macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    Check out http://www.sfbags.com. Not only are their products fantastic (I have the 12" sleevecase w/strap), but it's one of the friendliest companies I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with.
  10. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Jan 9, 2006
    I have a Samsonite and I love it. My husband also uses a Samsonite. To top things off we have an outlet store near us and we got them both for 20 bucks each. Its a sell the offer all the time at our store. So if you have a local store go check it out. IMO its was the best bang for my buck. Since most of the other ones I say were 60+ dollars.

Oh yeah we have had both of ours for two years. No problems.
  11. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
    I've had a Samsonite backpack for over 1.5 years, and is the backpack that has lasted the longest. I travel a lot, and for some reason just DESTROY notebook bags. The Samsonite is very sturdy and protects the laptop very nicely.
  12. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Jan 9, 2006
    I don't know if this is true or not. But the lady at the store told me if anything did happen to my bag that is I sent it do them they would replace it. Now I have not had to do this. She said it would not be the same bag. But that they would send me another. Has to be normal wear ofcourse. But like I said I have not had to deal with them at this so I don't really know how well there customer service is.
  13. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Brenthaven, nothing more needs to be said other than I've had mine for 4 years with my 15" Powerbooks, dropped it, climbed mountains with it, travelled to ruined cities with it, and gone to school for 4 years with it.
  14. desenso macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    I researched backpacks quite extensively, and I can quite honestly say that this is both the best backpack, AND one of the cheapest:

It is, plain and simple, the ultimate geek backpack - it has pockets for everything, good spaciousness, nice laptop compartment, all sorts of other features (charging while inside the bag) - AND it doesn't look ridiculous.

I love mine.. I'd buy 5, if I had any use for 5 backpacks.