Purchasing GarageBand....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac Lad, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Mac Lad macrumors member

Hey guys,

I just got my 12" 1GHz Powerbook ComboDrive with iLife installed (I don't know which version it is). iPhoto, iMovie, and iTunes were all there, but GarageBand was not! I was really dying to try GB and record my bass with it. So my question is:

If I wanna buy GB do I have to get the iLife '04 suite or can I just get GB separately?

By the way, I have a passive Fender bass ... so if I'm not mistaken, I will also need a pre-amp to get the sound into my powerbook right?

Thanx for all the replies!!!

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I think iLife'04 is included with your powerbook. Try to install it from the software restore disc.
    And yes, you will need a preamp to get proper signal from the bass.

3. Zaty macrumors 65816

Did you buy a refurb PB or did you buy it used from someone? If the former is the case, you should have iLife 04 installed (you can check that by click on "About iPhoto (or iMovie)" The version numbers for both iPhoto and iMovie that come with iLife 04 is 4.0.x (whereas previous versions were 2.0.x for iPhoto and 3.0.x for iMovie). If you bought it used, it's possible that it didn't come with iLife 04 (if it was originally purchased before Februrary). You can't buy GarageBand (or any other app included in the iLife Suite) separately. (With the exception of iTunes, of course).

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

It can't be new because the 1GHz 12" PB is the rev B like I have, sold from September 2003 to April 2004. The new ones have a 1.33GHz G4 in them. If it's bought 2nd hand it may not have the up-to-date iLife '04 on it, in which case you'll have to buy it (for only $49) - every version will be version 4 (except GarageBand). If it's refrub from Apple, I'd have thought you could call them and get them to supply you with the CDs for free or a small shipping cost. Worth a try.

EDIT: If you have to buy iLife '04, it's well worth it. iDVD won't be any use to you but iPhoto upgrade is well worth the price alone, let alone the fact that GarageBand is one hell of an audio app and could easily be sold for $99 on its own.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It's worth the money even if it is replaced with iLife '04 in 3 months with a better Garageband. Most likely there will not be an upgrade price or free upgrade.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you can hold out until the end of January, there's rumors that iLife '05 will be out.

7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

It's true that might happen but I say it's worth it.

8. Stroodle macrumors newbie

iLife in box

iLife '04 may be included with your Powerbook, but is not on the restore CD. There is a separate CD that is just iLife '04... it's as if you were purchasing the retail box copy of iLife '04, only you're getting the CD from it already included in the box.

:rolleyes:

9. Mac Lad thread starter macrumors member

Thanx a lot guys & girls (to be politically correct :D)
    Since I bought the laptop 2nd hand, it doesn't come with iLife '04. So johnnyjibbs is right... Gosh ... should I wait until iLife '05 comes out? errr... I'll flip a coin or something.

anyway, suppose I bought the iLife suite and installed it on the powerbook, will the old files in iPhoto & iTunes that I preveiously had be preserved?? sorry... I'm such a computer idiot.

And one more question... how do you guys get the little box that has "Quote:" title on the top...hehehe... I guess it's easier to reference people's posts that way...

Thanx again... and Go SAINTS!!

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if you want to use Garageband now, just go buy iLife 04 - it is only $49 (less if you are a student or shop around a bit....) and you get the latest versions of *all* the programs....and yes, your data from the previous versions will be preserved......oh yeah!

11. wide macrumors 6502a

Is there a technology guarantee with iLife, so that Apple gives you a free or discounted version of the next software update so long as it is within a certain amount of time?

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not to my knowledge.

13. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Don't count on it, I'm afraid. Apple has not confirmed of the existence of iLife '05, but we can bet that it will be released in January and it will cost $49 with no upgrade path. However, it's good value, so see it more as an annual subcription to the most up-to-date programs. Now if only they'd offer that as part of the annual OS upgrade...

The only exception to this is if you buy a new Mac after iLife '05 has been released (assuming it is) that has iLife '04 installed on it - you will be able to get the latest version for a shipping fee.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If you buy hardware within 10 days of an update, they'll usually refund you the difference. With software, sometimes there is a 30 day upgrade policy. Sometimes there is a $20 shipping and handling fee. Sometimes a new program is announced with an exact availablity, but not yet shipping. If you buy the old version after that, the update is free (again, sometimes with a $20 s&h fee).

15. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

why does a passive bass need a preamp, when a non-active Strat hooks up straight to the line in on an iMac / eMac?

16. Mac Lad thread starter macrumors member

Hmm.. it seems like iLife '05 is worth the wait

Do you actually get good and high signals out of the Strat into your Mac? (no humming and stuff). I guess guitar's pickups has a better response than bass pickup. High frequency signal tend to have more punch than a deep low one, I guess.... But, I haven't really tried plugging bass nor guitar to a Mac though, so i could be wrong.

Gosh, I just can't wait until it's January....