Purchasing .Mac on Ebay

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dont24, Mar 7, 2006.

1. dont24 macrumors regular

Has anyone purchased just the activation code on Ebay? My trial period is going to expire and I'd like to get a year subscription. Is there anything I'm missing out on by not purchasing the retail package?

2. powerboy macrumors regular

Just make sure the activation code is unused. I bought AppleCare on eBay and had no problems, but there were some people trying to sell AppleCare that had been activated (i.e. worthless). Be careful.

The retail package doesn't have anything extra that you need except the activation code.

3. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

got my .mac on ebay, just asked for the code so no postage to pay. saved about 30%.

just check sellers ratings.

good luck.

4. dont24 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure there were no other "goodies" packed in the retail box.
    The ones I'm looking at, the sellers have great feedback. Not too concerned.

Edit: Why the upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0, if there's nothing included in the retail package?

5. tivoboy macrumors 68030

you're missing out

if you don't get the retail package, you WON'T get the two little white apple stickers!!!

but, that said I just picked up a new .mac activation code, 35$ on ebay. Worked fine, pushed me out a year.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Those of you with successful transactions, do you think you could post the seller's username?

7. tivoboy macrumors 68030

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

the only thing I would recommend is actually explicitly asking the seller if the activation code has been used yet or not.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

But that's the problem... people can lie. ;) And thanks, tivoboy.

10. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Just curious- where the heck are these activation codes coming from? In other words, are these small Mac stores that have a bunch of boxes and try to sell them for a few bucks over cost on eBay? ???

11. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I am curious about that, too. I just noticed that Amazon has stopped giving discounts on .Mac, so how can Ebay sellers offer it for such a low price. Of course, if these are one off sales, where the seller received it as a Christmas gift and decided not to use it, then that makes sense.

12. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I know that with toys (and other things I imagine) smaller stores set up ebay accounts to sell their stuff they are restricted from selling on "sale" ie. thomas the train stuff you can find new and most are from mom and pop toy stores. The interesting thing is that they almost always get about 70% or more of the retail price for little or no cost to them. Pretty good deal for them.

13. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Wait a min, are you all talking about a .mac account? .Mac mail, homepage etc? Am I on the same page here? I just assumed the only way to get that was to shell out close to a hundred bucks via Apples site (as I´ve done for the past 2 years).

??? :confused:

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

That's what we're talking about. :)

It's sometimes on Amazon for around $79, if you just bought an Apple computer they'll offer .Mac (dot Mac) for $69, but otherwise, these folks are saying eBay is another way to get this service for cheaper.

15. dont24 thread starter macrumors regular

I decided to buy an activation code on Ebay. No problems at all.

16. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I purchased mine from eBay username : cinay

I got the activation key in about 3 hours after PayPal went through.

He/she has 4 available now for $69 USD.

17. NiftyBritches macrumors newbie

I used "cinay" too just last month. He was very prompt, and I had no problems at all renewing my account with the code he emailed. He'll even IM with you if you are having any problems. I was skeptical, but it worked. It's less than $100, so the PayPal and eBay buyer protection programs are more than enough insurance if you are worried about doing it this way.

Of course, I did this only a couple of days before my account expired. I then cancelled my order from Amazon.com. I ordered the renewal box through them, and after waiting for it to ship FOR 5 FREAKIN' DAYS through their "Super Saver Shipping", I decided they didn't deserve my money. 5 days and they couldn't throw a little box in a bigger box and ship it. Whew, sorry about the rant. I just boycotted WalMart too, but that's a different customer no service story. I'm done now.

18. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I boycott Walmart when possible too.

However, your amazon thing- I am curious- did you expect them to expedite it for free when you selected supersaver shipping?

I know they did the supersaver shipping thing for two reasons. Logistically it helps them schedule and ship items. They can put off sending super saver stuff for a few days if they get larger amounts of expedited orders. This helps keep their costs down as their facility shipping capacities don't have to be as large. The other reason they did it was for the marketing aspect. They found that many people didn't care if their books (and things) came in just a few days and were willing to do order more often if they could save a few bucks.

so I guess I am saying in my opinion you get what you pay for..if you want it shipped in five days then order second day deliver to ensure that. If you don't care then do super saver and often times it won't take much longer, but due to logistical/business reasons they put on there it will take X number of days to ship and be received.

Back on topic- nice to hear .Mac is legit through some ebay sellers. Too bad mine is not due again until October.