Purchasing more ram!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by neoelectronaut, Dec 9, 2003.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Currently in my eMac here I have 512MB of ram. Well, I figure I may as well max it out to 1GB. What's the cheapest and most reliable 512MB ram money can buy?

Or, if you think there won't be much performance difference between 512MB and 1GB, tell me that too, so I'll hold off for a little while.

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

if you run a lot of apps at once then you will notice an increase is speed for sure. other world computing is always a good place to buy mac ram.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I like Crucial. They have very high quality RAM and good prices. They also offer free two day shipping. I've used them for all my Macs and most of the PC's at my work. Always been impressed. Whatever you end up getting, don't buy generic RAM. You'll suffer with kernal panics.

As for whether you truly need the extra RAM, it depends. The rule of thumb with computers, and particularly with OS X is to get as much RAM as possible. 512 MB is a good amount, and if you only have a few programs open at a given time, should be enough. But since another 512 MB module is only about a hundred bucks, I'd just pick it up to maximize your computing experience. Things will just run smoother.

4. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Ramjet is has always been the best!!! And Apple backs their ram. They may have higher price then others, but the speed is always what you ask for.

Ramjet

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i go by crucial. i am sure there are other excellent vendors out ther, just remember you pay just a little bit more for the security of a known and reliable vendor.

as for perfromane issues; if you multitask, like burn dvds while encoding checking your mail, surfing, chatting, and installing win xp on virtual pc, 1 gig will keep you on track with out a hitch (i actually did all that at the same time) :D so yeah the more ram u get can only make ur computing experience only sweeter, unless you get cheap ram and that causes kernal panics and then your in for a world of pain

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I bought three 512 sticks from Crucial and they're very quick in receiving your order and pushing it out to be mailed. No problems with their RAM and I look forward to be doing business with them again.

7. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Re: Purchasing more ram!

I just upped my iMac from 512MB to 1GB...the improvement in performance is amazing :)

8. evolu macrumors regular

I just loaded up my dually to 2Gigs with Crucial. No problems at all.

I must say though, I've heard good and bad things about Crucial (mostly good) as well as generic brands. Some people have great experiences with generic.

I went with Crucial because it was a 'name' brand but cheap.

Bad ram happens. If it does though, it's best to have bought it from somewhere with good customer service.

And max it out.