purchasing soon

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wxgeek96, Mar 7, 2006.

1. wxgeek96 macrumors newbie

I am in the process of replacing my office computer (linux). I have to do some web site updating through Dreamweaver as well as some reports/presentations in Office, so I have decided to look into Macs as well as a replacement Linux or Windoze PC.

The new Intel Macs are cool (I played with one at a store), but I am concerned about the reports that Dreamweaver may run slowly on the Intel Macs. Has anyone used Dreamweaver on these machines? Is it slow to the point that it is completely unusable, or is it just certain intensive functions that run slowly? Which would be more beneficial 1 GB of RAM or the 2 GHz processor?

Thanks for your help.
    -wxgeek

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

ANything running in emulation under "rosita" runs at about 1/2 speed (give or take) The emulator seems to like lots of RAM, 2GBwould be reasonable. Small increments in processor speed, say from 2.0 to 2.1 gain you like 5% The gain is no more than proportional to the clock speeds

But after the software vendors convert thier applications they will run _much_ faster on the new Intel Macs than they did on the PPC. WHat really maters is if can put up with running at 1/2 speed for 9 or 10 months