Purchasing Systems over eBay

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by pcuserx, Apr 11, 2003.

1. pcuserx macrumors member

Jan 12, 2003
    I have placed bids on several powerbooks on eBay. However I am reluctant to send money first.

The people are in Canada. I am aware that certain shipping companies like Fedex have a program where they deliver the package and hand it over only under the condition that the recipiant hands over a certain amount of money which is in turn given back to the sender. I have used this method of transfer before. But does anyone know if Fedex can actually check to make sure that what is in the package is an actual working computer system? Is there any service any major shipping company offers that would actually check that there is a functioning computer system in the package...or at least let you examine the package contents before handing over the money?
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Nope, no way to know what is in the package and conversely if the check is real when sent COD.
  3. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2002
    Cupertino CA

That method is called COD, cash on delivery, and it wont work for international packages. I have tried. I did buy an iBook with COD from Boston to Nevada, and I actually opened the box and turned the computer on while the FedEx guy was there before I gave him my check. Additionally, I have been burned to the sum of 1200 USD by sending money internation for a PowerMac. DO NO SEND MONEY UNLESS A PRODUCT IS RECEIVED!!!!!
  4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    I do tons of business on Ebay and have bought computer parts , accessies and all out packages - although most of my transactions are audio sales. My recommendation is that you find a seller with at least a 500 rating and check their feedback.

A great thing to do is to see what the transactions were that got them positive reviews. If they have sold nothing but lightbulbs for 3 years and suddenly have 10 powerbooks available, maybe not a good idea. There have been reputable sellers who have had a "going out of business {SALE} and made some people unhappy.

If in their feedback profile you see customers happy with powerbook or computer package sales, it's legit - check the item number link to see what the product was. You can even contact those buyers to ask specific questions about the seller and how the transaction was handled.

Here is an example of a feedback profile to make the text of this post relevant:

5. meateater macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2003

make sure the price is not "to good to be true!!!!" i thought i was buying a power book from new york, and all i did was wire a thief $1000!!!! i got screwed. check there feedback, other sales and what items they were. this guy stole someones ebay name and was using it, he had great feedback but all the items were small $5-$10 sales. i failed to actually look at these till it was to late.i will never send money first again!!!
  6. pcuserx thread starter macrumors member

Jan 12, 2003
    Is there any legitamite reason why someone would disagree to use Cash On Delivery?

Certain seller with great ratings say they won't use COD even for intranational shipping. Is doing business with someone like this risky?
  7. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    As a seller, I won't ship COD, because of the possibility of the system being lost or damaged in shipping. And don't say "there's insurance for that" - insurance on shipping damage or loss is very difficult to collect on.
  8. Riko19 macrumors member

Mar 5, 2003
    Warrington UK
    im unsure if i as a seller would be happy to COD scheme seems unfair just incase they waste ur time. nice to have details ive never had problems with my orders when purchesed by card, quite simple.

I have had sum one try and do a fraud on order but i went to my bank told them about it and they phoned them up and refunded that money back into my account.

Although i respect the point of saying dont pay anything until its there on your doorstep.:)
  9. maluscanis macrumors member

Jun 30, 2002
    I'm not sure
    Here is your answer:

Only buy from those with excellent feedback...and check their past auctions...if it is a big item, then contact a past buyer. If you do these things you will be absolutely fine.

In the past, I was frauded by the Steve Matthews Jobs for a New PowerMac (the story was on these forums several months ago) and I consider myself very careful and skeptical. Nevertheless, I still use eBay quite frequently.

The secret is to find a seller with character... ie. wonderful feedback.

Best of Luck
  10. pcuserx thread starter macrumors member

Jan 12, 2003
    Ok, there is a seller in Montreal (I am from Toronto) who is offering me a brand new 15" powerbook he claims that he has recieved from his uncle for $1200 usd. He has welcomed me to use COD (if I send shipping money first) or drive up to Montreal (would cost me $130).

It seems too good to be true, and yet I want to believe it since he is so genuine. Should I risk $130 and drive up to Montreal? Any concerns?
  11. Spyharpy macrumors member

Apr 12, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I would rather buy from a reseller and pay a bit more when it comes to notebook computers. You have the option of returning it or swapping it if something should go wrong. If you buy from an individual, is the warranty transferable? If so, you'd better get the original receipt should you need service. Unless the seller is a store, has a good rating and will give you a receipt as proof of purchase for warranty claims, then I'd consider buying one from Ebay. The current prices aren't that much less than retail so I personally wouldn't take the risk. I will buy new from a reputable store with support.
  12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    "If you buy from an individual, is the warranty

applecare certainly is; I think it just takes a quick call to Apple.

In addition to COD, there is escrow, where you even get an "inspection period" to look at the item before you have to approve the transfer of funds from the escrow service to the seller. The only thing to beware of is a fake or dishonest escrow service, but escrow.com is a good one, frequently used for big ebay purchases. Yes it costs some money, but I'd rather pay 50 or even 100 dollars for escrow than risk getting burned on a purchase of 1-2k. Just think- you only have to be defrauded on one big purchase to lose more money than you would have spent on ten or twenty uses of escrow.
  13. yzedf macrumors 65816

Nov 1, 2002
    some have mentioned ratings on ebay... that is a bunch of crap. those can be faked. they can be boosted on $2 items, selling to friends, etc. use a escrow account.

1. you pay escrow
    2. seller ships
    3. you receive goods
    4. you tell escrow that it's all good
    5. seller gets your money from escrow

the only thing to worry about is using a reputable escrow service. i would use a brick and mortar based service, not one associated with ebay/paypal.

also, remember that ebay owns paypal now. and that neither one cares about whether all the transactions are legit or not. they just want the money. that is why they are a business, to make money. it just happens to be that a side effect is something that you want...
  14. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2002
    Don't learn the hard way! Never send a personal check. Use PayPal and sellers with verified addresses.