Purchasing Tiger, Family Pack? Edu Discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by DickArmAndHarT, Mar 29, 2005.

1. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

I have 2 macs, PB,iBook and and very excited about the soon to be released Tiger. As most of us are.. :D ...I can get an education discount but when i lookf for tiger after signing in ot the edu. store, there is no longer a family pack. Can i install that discounted operating system on both machines? At all?? and most importantly, is it illegal?

Thanks, Rich

Yeahhhh Tiger! Whoot Whoot

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

When purchasing Mac OS software, the license only allows a person to legally install it on one Mac. You can, but it is illegal. If history repeats itself Apple will offer a Tiger family pack. There isn't an educational discount for the family pack. If a person has 2 or more Mac's the family pack is a good deal. Last time the cost was $189. I have three Mac's.

3. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You can install 1 license on two computers, but you can only use 1 computer at a time. It's similar to have the same app copy on the network, it'll only allow for one computer at a time. If you are talking about 2 simultaneous users, then buying the family pack is good.

4. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

How is this enforced?

5. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Honor system.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

On Apple Store Norway the family pack of Panther indeed has edu discount. On the regular Store it costs NOK 1990 and on the edu Store its half that: NOK 995. iLife'05 too, NOK 899 vs NOK 450 for the family pack...

I'm actually hoping to buy both Tiger and iLife'05 family packs before I finish my M.S. in informatics and B.A. in history of religion this spring... ;)

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

A few questions on the family pack...

1) It comes with the same discs but multiple serial numbers right?

2) Its released the same day as the single pack OS?

8. AstroManLuca macrumors member

OS X does not use serial numbers. As bankshot said, it's enforced by the honor system.

9. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

I purchase Tiger and for what ever reason I have to do a fresh re-install? What happens then?

10. gallivant macrumors member

You have a new install of Tiger.

Apple doesn't force their customers to constantly prove they're not pirates, unlike certain OS companies.

11. Dandaman macrumors 6502

what happened to the family pack that was on amazon? It disappeared.

daniel