Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 2nyRiggz, Aug 20, 2005.

1. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Hi Guys/Ladies,
    I became a mac user in march 2005 (loving my ibook by the way) but now i became a junkie for mac products and bought so many stuff for my ibook and ipod. I'm really considering buying a mac mini before i leave to visit my family in the Bahamas. i just wanted MR peepz opinion on owning both the mini and ibook or should i skip it and make my next purchase a intel mac.

2. godbout macrumors regular

Jun 22, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    I think that if I were you I would stick with your iBook for now... Maybe what you can do is buy a nice monitor and use your iBook on it then save some $$ and get a mac desktop (such as the intel mini) when it comes out in a year or so! I think that that would be a good deal, also, if you don't have an extra keyboard and mouse you could pick one of those up too... then you essentially have a mini already ;)
  3. beatle888 macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2002

thats a good idea. if your itching for a new apple product...why not buy the monitor now to use with your ibook and buy the mini to go with your monitor when they get the intel processor.....no wait. take that money and buy apple stock and cash in when the intel mini comes out.
  4. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    I echo the 2 posters above - unless you have a clear need, you're probably better off skipping on the mini right now.
    Having said that, I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from - it's so easy to get sucked in to unintended Apple purchases!
    If you're looking for an Apple-purchase and you have high-speed internet, I would definitely look into the Airport Express. It works great and its portability is a huge asset.

Good luck!
  5. godbout macrumors regular

Jun 22, 2005
    Montreal, Canada
    Hey I like your thinking :D
  6. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    You have a solid machine that also covers your portable needs for quite some time, so I would save for a more serious desktop.

You already have a G4, so your next logical step moves you up to at least a single processor G5 or better.

The 17" 2.0 GHz iMac G5 would get you rolling nicely in a well configured system in today's offerings or you can hang in there to see what Apple offers over the next year in a stand alone CPU.

In the mean time, I'd load up on RAM and maybe consider a nice display.