Purchesed Video won't transfer to iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by pretentious, Nov 7, 2005.

1. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

Hey I just received my new Black iPod (it's gorgeous!), and many of the videos that I have in my iTunes library including a Lost episode that I bought off of iTMS is not updating to the iPod. I don't understand what could be wrong, I've even placed them into their own folder for iTunes to update from but still it is not updating.
    Anyone with an idea of what might be wrong?

2. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

did you go to your ipod preference, click on video tab and check the box that says to update the videos on your ipod (can't remember the specific button, ipod is upstairs)

3. pretentious thread starter macrumors regular

pretentious

Oh I thought I did... no wonder the only videos transferring were podcasts thanks.

4. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

I've got the same problem!

I checked that box though, and I converted a video to play on my iPod, the video imports into iTunes fine, and I don't get any error messages saying that the video couldn't be transferred, it just does nothing, all I've got on my iPod are two video podcasts, and it just won't move the video :mad:

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The video probably isn't in the right format for the iPod. Have a look at Apple's requirements and make sure you followed them to a tee.

Just want to make sure, is it possible to manually update videos to the iPod? ie, can you drag them from iTunes onto the iPod in the source list?

6. maddav macrumors 6502

maddav

Yeah I guessed as much, it WAS the format, though I thought that H-264 via Handbrake was fine?

Thanks!!

7. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

Not quite. The regular Handbrake makes video in H.264 that doesn't play in the iPod. There's a modified version of Handbrake that takes care of the issue while they make a version that has the iPod option; I found the link to it on the Handbrake forums. Can't tell you if it works because I don't have my iPod yet, but I hear it does. Hope it helps.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Instead of the modified version, there is a new stable release that adds Baseline H.264 encoding and enables the queue feature.

Can't wait to get my 5G for christmas and try out my TV shows - I used the MPEG-4 encoder in Handbrake just to be sure. Quality's not too bad.

9. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

You know that format for PSP works in the ipod. Just throw away that THM file, I think thats what its called, and rename the video from M63448.mpeg to whatever.