Pure genius

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Don't panic, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I don't know if "american finest news source" qualifies as news, but this made me laugh really hard

(from here http://www.theonion.com/)

figure legend:
    Cheney Wows Sept. 11 Commission By Drinking Glass Of Water While Bush Speaks

Attached Files:

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't really see anything funny. It is just the media publishing a photo that will hurt the image of our president. Drinking water is a normal human need.

3. laukev7 macrumors member

TheOnion is a parody newspaper. The joke implies that Cheney is a ventriloquist speaking through Bush and using him as a puppet. And I agree, it's pure genius!

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

If you don't get the joke, why would it hurt the image of the president? If you take the humor away, it's just a picture of cheney drinking. nothing sinister.

:rolleyes:
    paul

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

It's just another one of those silly little images of our President that makes me chuckle. If that offends you, I certainly wouldn't click here. What Cheney doesn't realize is that consuming either food or drink while the George Bush is talking is hazardous to your health. If he were to say something characteristically stupid, you could choke pretty bad! :p

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

You're kidding, right?

I can understand not getting the joke (though I thought it was pretty darned funny--I love The Onion), and I really don't want to sound mean or anything, but parody aside, how could a picture of the VP drinking water while sitting beside Bush possibly hurt the image of the president? Because some people think he can store water like a camel or something, and now they've been proven wrong? Beacuse the thought of Bush and Cheney sitting in the same place at the same time somehow reflects negatively on the current Administration?

Unless you actually do think that Cheney does a really good Bush impression, in which case that picture would actually help the image of the presidency, by proving that Bush can in fact talk for himself without a script.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That was damn funny! Love the Onion - but they could have also done a bit on how often you see the two of them together....:D

D

9. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

I'm still trying to find out where this one originated. If there was ever anything that was going to try to "hurt" the Presidents image, I haven't heard a thing about this.......

10. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

It says mad at the bottom, so I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say Mag Magazine, our nations largest mental illness themed humor magazine.

11. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

LOL.. that is too funny.

13. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Speaking of which... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I am a die-hard Republican. And yes, the Onion story was pure genius (as usual) ;)