Purge 9?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by drastik, Nov 22, 2002.

1. drastik macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2002
    Does anyone know a quick way to purge 9 from my pismo without doing a totaly clean install of X. I'm finished with 9, and have no need for classic support, so I'd like to get the space back.

I guess I can do a total reinstall, but I'm at work right now, and all of my software discs are at home, pluss, I can't do back up with this ****box PC because we are still on token ring.

Anyway, should I just do it in terminal?
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    In a normal install of 9, there are only a few places you'd need to clean up - provided you have something resembling a regular OS9 installation (when you did it originally, you might have made some modifications since).

The only things you'd need to get rid of are

Applications (Mac OS 9)
    Desktop (Mac OS 9)
    System (Mac OS 9)

You'd need to make sure you're not using any files in these directories and make sure that there aren't any files you want (photoshop, etc.) in the Apps or Desktop. But just dragging these to the trash and deleting them should be enough.

One word of advice - burn a CD or 3 if needed of all the folder - just in case. You might never need them again, but you can't plan on that 1 year from now.