Purging old photos in iPhoto *not* already in albums

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sir42, Nov 6, 2006.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

Over the last few years I have taken about 1000 pictures of flowers and organized 200 of my favorite shots into albums within iPhoto. Is there an easy way to purge all of the pictures of flowers that are still in my library but not in albums?

I'm using iPhoto 4.

thanks!

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Make a new smart album, with the selection being [Album] [is not] [Any]. Then you can select 'em all and move to trash.

[edit: now that I think of it, that's a paradox, but it's a paradox that works. :eek: ]

3. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the first part about creating a smart album worked perfectly. Sadly, I can't figure out how to delete something from a smart album.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Does it allow you to drag the photos to the trash icon? That works in iPhoto 6, I don't still have 4 to check.

5. sir42 thread starter macrumors 6502

I can drag a photo from a regular album into the trash, but not from a smart album.

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

That's the problem with Albums in general, you can only remove them from the album and not permanently delete them.

I heard once that you can make the smart album with the photos you want to delete (basically filter them out like what was said before) and then apply a unique keyword to those pictures like "delete". Then in the Library, search the photos by keyword for "delete", and then delete them!

Hope that helps.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yuck! All right then, does command-apple-delete work?

8. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I believe so, I'm not near iPhoto at the moment (computer lab). I remember using command-delete to delete them.