Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2001

Attachments

• 1058562074.2214781023.jpg
    1058562074.2214781023.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2,107

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
bs ?

because if all the hair is pink, the treatement has to go very long.
and the color would probably not be as regularly over all the body. ?!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
After eye's comment and simple search on google got me tons of links to the story - most not in english.

But it also got me another pic - looks like this is real. Weirdness....;)

D

Attachments

• purple-bear_072203.jpg
    purple-bear_072203.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,182

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
haha that is awesome. i hope it just effects his skin color and nothing more.

iJon

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Someone dyed a polar bear, awesome:D

There'd be no point him covering up his nose in the snow so the seals couldn't see him now would there?

They are probably dipping him like they do sheep, that stuff is a funny colour too.

Although that begs the question, how does one "dip" a massive, vicious predator?:D

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Originally posted by WinterMute
Although that begs the question, how does one "dip" a massive, vicious predator?:D

Why, very, verrry carefully, of course.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. :)

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
hmm
I can just hear the little kids at the zoo now

"but mommy i want to see the blue bear not the purple one and throws a fit"

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Not to be observant, but...

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Did anyone else notice that the bars on the right of the cage (in the first photo) are purple too?

That would indicate either a Photoshop job or a dye job that rubbed off, not an internal medicine...

Its not internal - its an external application for the bears skin.

But that was a little odd, so I went looking for other pics - thats why I posted the second one - which indicates its not a fake.

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Durandal7
Reportedly the polar bear has increased visitors to the zoo by 50%.

Anyone ever see the movie Fierce Creatures? It was a bit of a reunion film for the cast of A Fish Called Wanda.

They were trying to get more people to come to the zoo, this would have been perfect.

I only hope no one else gets the same idea in other zoos.....:rolleyes:

D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
A bear that looks like Barney...creepy... :eek:

That color is so intense too! I wonder if this has happened to any other animals before? If so, allergic reaction?

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
imagine coming across one of those things in the wild, having your ass handed to you by a big purple polar bear.....
my question is did they not know that the medicine would turn the coat purple? seems like maybe it's a publicity stunt, and it worked apparently by upping the zoo admissions already by 50%.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
That purple bear is so cute . Makes me want to make up a song about him. How about:

He's a two eyed, no horned, walking purple penguin eater (repeat as many times as you want). It could even be a rather simple tongue twister .

Pretty good, huh? Well I know they really eat seals, but for the sake of the song I had to sacrifice the validity of the information.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I hope that the extra income from the 50% increase in admissions will go to help all the animals. If it is Gentian Violet that is why they have the purple color!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Look's like the purple dye to treat the skin infection is the likely winner. At least it wasn't something natural.

That Pia Bischoff's green haired cat from way back was really freaky, with them showing that the fur was really growing in green in the hair follicles of the kitten.

Green Cat :p

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Look's like the purple dye to treat the skin infection is the likely winner. At least it wasn't something natural.

That Pia Bischoff's green haired cat from way back was really freaky, with them showing that the fur was really growing in green in the hair follicles of the kitten.

Green Cat :p

that's freaky! i want a blue cat:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.