Purple Trash bin

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Schiffi, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2003
    I have this friend who has a purple trash bin. He suspects the product AdiumX was the culprit, but I'm asking here to see if there was any other similar case.
  2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Here's how to replace those files:

(1) Familiarize yourself with Root User. Do not log in to root user yet.

(2) Download and expand the attachment to this post. Confirm that you have the files

(3) Log into root user.

(4) Navigate to:
    [your hard drive] > System > Library > CoreServices > Dock [control-click and show package contents] > Contents > Resources

Drag the two files you expanded from the attachment into your resource window. When a window pops up asking if you want to replace each file, accept the replacement.
  3. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    can't you just do the same thing with sudo?

that purple trash can is adorable :p
    also, i think you can use candy bar to change the trash can icon, it's easier and much safer than modifying and playing with stuff as root, which can damage your computer if you modify a file that the OS needs
  4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    Well, using sudo requires UNIX and the Terminal. It's less safe than using root user, especially if you are not sure what you are doing. But it can still get the job done.

BTW: When you replace the .png file, log out, then log in again. Also, if you have an image editing program, such as Photoshop, you could use a color overlay from your layer options to get a sufficient color for your needs. Or you could use the desaturate option on the image to get rid of the purple. [​IMG]