Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Yeah, I was thinking this too. The home button is such an iconic part of the iPhone that I can't see them getting rid of it.

Of course, Apple has been known to do unexpected things in the past, so it's not completely impossible, but...
I could see the home button leaving if the functionality could be incorporated into the touch screen.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I'm using a 4S. I hate it and want to upgrade. But my fear is the lightning connector will change to a USB-C by the iPhone 7. Anyone have thoughts on that? Heck if the connectors will all change to USB-C I would love to upgrade my iMac, iPad, and iPhones all at the same time.
There is a Micro-C, a C and a lightning, and a 30 pin. You will not have the same plug on a phone you have on a Mac, though not sure why, but might on a Pad. Samsung/LG use micro-USB (2).

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
To be honest, I doubt whether the thickness will be 'barely noticable'. I think it will be noticable which is a shame.

nando87

Cancelled
Jun 25, 2014
Simple solution: a case. No antenna lines, no protruding camera. My phone is in a thin case and looks and feels great.

That's like getting an ugly girlfriend and covering her head with a bag. She'll still be ugly though.

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
I can see this, much like the iPad mini with retina over the original iPad mini. Same size, but the retina version was ever so slightly thicker. Enough for a specific case to be loose to to snug.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
0.2mm thicker?! pre order cancelled.

/s

I don't mind. 0.2mm just sounds incredibly small. Maybe if it was 1.0mm thicker then it might feel different but it's not even 1/4 of 1mm. It's probably just to accomodate force touch like the article says, right? It's not gonna make a huge difference in how much of the camera protrudes and surely wouldn't allow for a much larger battery. Not that these are issues for me. iPhone battery really can't be worse than my current phone which also has a protruding camera. Elimination of these "flaws" would be preferable but nothing huge for me IMO.

Can't wait for this to go on sale. I miss iPhone. It's time for me to come back.

Reactions: Billberryjuice

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
To be honest, I doubt whether the thickness will be 'barely noticable'. I think it will be noticable which is a shame.

Didn't the article say .2mm?

Granted I'm from the U.S. and we don't use metric, officially -- but I'm pretty sure .2 millimeters is so small, you won't notice. I would wonder what the tolerance is on any given iPhone 6 or 6Plus in terms of thickness as it would seem that the phone can flex at least .2mm when you pinch the screen and body.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008

Granted I'm from the U.S. and we don't use metric, officially -- but I'm pretty sure .2 millimeters is so small, you won't notice. I would wonder what the tolerance is on any given iPhone 6 or 6Plus in terms of thickness as it would seem that the phone can flex at least .2mm when you pinch the screen and body.
The iPad mini/mini 2 thickness increase was 0.3 mm and that was noticable. Also, the 6 Plus feels clearly thicker than the normal 6 and that also has only a 0.2 mm thickness difference.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
There is a Micro-C, a C and a lightning, and a 30 pin. You will not have the same plug on a phone you have on a Mac, though not sure why, but might on a Pad. Samsung/LG use micro-USB (2).
Never heard of USB Micro C, and why will we never have the the same connectors on a Mac as on a phone. There are already rumours of phones that have USB C and there are already macs with USB C.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany

If you are on a Retina Macbook Pro, 0.2 mm are a little less than two pixels on your screen (about 1.75). The border of the "Reply"-button for example is two pixels thick. A little less than that. It's really not that much.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

This is 0.2mm. I this is a problem for you, I'd suggest Therapy. ;)

medium.jpg

Reactions: citysnaps

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014

What? There is no usb micro c....

Iphone uses Lightning atm.
Android devices micro usb ( not c )

Both will most likely vanish in the next few years. Every 2016 flagship will feature usb-c. My guess is iphone 7 too.

A usb c port on a mobile device is the same as the one on the new macbook.

One port to rule them all.

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I suspect that the body of the phone will not change at all. The display will be slightly thicker to support force touch. The display will rise slightly more above the body than the current iPhone 6 does. So there won't be any additional space to increase battery size, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.