purpose of skeleton editing?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by puckhead193, May 3, 2006.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

So tomorrow is my final and one of the question on the review sheet is. "Explain what a skeleton is and why its important, especially for news editors?" (using linear/tape to tape)
    I know what it is, but how do u put it in words. Its mostly to save time so you can just throw in B- roll...right.
    Also what is "SOT" ? i think i was "sick" that day ;)
    Thanks

2. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

i believe skeleton editing is when you edit together the time codes of say important bites or other footage without actually seeing any video that way when u batch capture those timecodes in to the project the video within those timecodes will already be edited together in some sort of coherent fashion in the timeline. Useful for news and productions with quick turn arounds.

I could be way off. :)

3. chv400 macrumors 6502

I think SOT stands for sound on tape. Thats about all I remember of the definition. I took the class 2 years ago so my memory has become subject to fading since then.

4. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

SOT does indeed stand for Sound On Tape. :)

5. hsilver macrumors regular

Yes, a skeleton edit is a string out in order of 'soundbites' -the interview core of a news or doc piece. It's also called a 'radio cut'.

6. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

how can i elaborate that into like a paragraph... its under essay on the review sheet so a sentence won't cut it...

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

if you are working tape to tape you will need to rough out your edit, then go back and fill in the holes. I would work this way 1/ to get a idea of how the edit works. 2/ to get it to the right duration before putting in all the cut away shots.