Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
So tomorrow is my final and one of the question on the review sheet is. "Explain what a skeleton is and why its important, especially for news editors?" (using linear/tape to tape)
I know what it is, but how do u put it in words. Its mostly to save time so you can just throw in B- roll...right.
Also what is "SOT" ? i think i was "sick" that day ;)
Thanks

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
i believe skeleton editing is when you edit together the time codes of say important bites or other footage without actually seeing any video that way when u batch capture those timecodes in to the project the video within those timecodes will already be edited together in some sort of coherent fashion in the timeline. Useful for news and productions with quick turn arounds.

I could be way off. :)

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
I think SOT stands for sound on tape. Thats about all I remember of the definition. I took the class 2 years ago so my memory has become subject to fading since then.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
chv400 said:
I think SOT stands for sound on tape. Thats about all I remember of the definition. I took the class 2 years ago so my memory has become subject to fading since then.

SOT does indeed stand for Sound On Tape. :)

hsilver

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
New York
Yes, a skeleton edit is a string out in order of 'soundbites' -the interview core of a news or doc piece. It's also called a 'radio cut'.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
hsilver said:
Yes, a skeleton edit is a string out in order of 'soundbites' -the interview core of a news or doc piece. It's also called a 'radio cut'.
how can i elaborate that into like a paragraph... its under essay on the review sheet so a sentence won't cut it...

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
if you are working tape to tape you will need to rough out your edit, then go back and fill in the holes. I would work this way 1/ to get a idea of how the edit works. 2/ to get it to the right duration before putting in all the cut away shots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.