Push email solution for POP3 + Sprint Treo 650?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by loudguitars, Jan 28, 2006.

1. loudguitars macrumors member

Nov 3, 2004
    I just got a nice new Treo 650 from the fine folks at Sprint. Unfortunately, those same fine folks neglected to tell me that their push email solution only works on PCs, and I use a Mac both at home and at the office.

I tried downloading trial of Chatter mail but after some brief testing, it looks like their push service only actually works with IMAP servers, so it looks like while I've saved thirty bucks, I'm still going to have problems.

So my basic question is, is there any available product that will push my pop3 account to my Treo in a Mac-only environment, or do I get to kill my battery setting VersaMail to sync every five minutes? Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. jaseone macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    Houston, USA
    What is restricting you to POP3? Switch to IMAP if at all possible otherwise any PUSH solution you come up with is going to need a pass through server of some type, like forwarding your POP3 to an IMAP account and then using IMAP's IDLE command through ChatterEmail.

Using POP3 that would be the cleanest of the solutions available, I really do recommend that you use IMAP though there are just way too many benefits.
  3. loudguitars thread starter macrumors member

Nov 3, 2004
    Alas, neither my ISP nor my job's ISP offers IMAP mail. It's not even an issue of "It's x more expensive to have IMAP," they just don't even offer it. And switching ISPs for either myself or my job is a non-starter.

I also have a (trial) subscription to .mac, but .mac's IMAP won't recognize the idle command and so it's just as useless as POP3. Unless paying for the full .mac experience gets recognition of the idle command, then I'm still out of luck. Anybody here tried that?