Push gmail doesn't work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ja Di ksw, Aug 30, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hi everyone, I just got the new iPhone 4, having a bit of trouble. Mail never grabs anything from gmail unless I go into the program. Under preferences, Mail has Fetch new data set to Push, is there anything more I have to do?

2. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It seems like it's an issue on Gmail's end. When I woke up this morning I noticed that push for my Gmail account had suddenly stopped working on my 3GS (before this it had always worked properly). I also have to open Mail for it to download my emails now. Hopefully Google fixes whatever is causing the problem.

3. macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Odd....

Push is working for me.

4. macrumors 603

have you set it up as a gmail exchange account rather than a normal gmail account? as normal gmail doesn't do push

5. macrumors member

I have setup my GMail account as Ms Exchange and set Fetch to Push - but I have to go into the Mail app to check for new mail - I don't get the Push Notification (i.e New Email) popup showing ?

6. macrumors 68020

Mine is working fine, and has been all morning.

7. macrumors 6502

Oh good I thought I had something wrong with my phone.. I have been getting push from another account but my gmail hasn't been pushing either..

8. macrumors member

My gmail active sync has been very flaky also. Sometimes it comes in instantly and other times it takes hours :S

Im also on 4.0.1 which is supposed to fix some exchange sync issues

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I just clicked on the gmail option when it asked what type of account. Do you mean MS Exchange? I can't find gmail exchange anywhere on the iPhone 4

10. macrumors 68020

Then you never had push gmail. You have to set it up as an exchange server to get push.

11. macrumors 6502