Pushing FP4 125

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by josh.c, Nov 2, 2006.

1. josh.c macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2006
    So I have a new 400D, which is quite nice actually, at 1600 it still has quite minimal noise. The body is a bit small for me though. But I'm going to an event and I know I'm going to run out of space on my CF card.... so I'll have to shoot film. Which I prefer to be honest.

I know this is the digital photography forum, but I saw some great advice for conventional photography on here as well so I figured I'd press my luck and ask for some advice.

My little cousin got hold of my Delta 400 and my HP5, and decided to pull the film out of the roll and use them as a ballerina would. I was not very amused when i found her sitting amidst a pile of my film, my last few rolls exposed.

Either, I have an hour trip to town to get some more and then another hour trek back... OR I have some spare FP4 and Delta 100 which I haven't been shooting much of due to the weather.

So. Either I push the FP4 and Delta 100 to 400... or I make the trek. I've had some gorgeous results pushing TMAX and HP5, love Tri-X at 800 and HP5 at 2000, but I've never had to push FP4 or Delta 100.

Also, I only have ID-11 to process it with, it might be possible to get hold of some xtol if it's going to make the difference.

So... the trek or the push? Any examples would be great!
  2. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2005
    It won't let me link directly, but the Massive Dev Chart (http://digitaltruth.com/devchart.html , choose FP4+ in the film drop-down) doesn't list a time for ID-11/FP4 past 200 (which doesn't mean it can't be done, just that it's rare enough no one's submitted a time).

They do list a time for Xtol up to 500.

Personally, I'd just make the trek. (And while you're there, check to see if they carry a two-bath developer called Diafine. It's great to keep around for emergencies, all films develop for three minutes in each bath and give films a one or two stop push over listed speed.)