Pushing the PB 12" to the limit

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Hobbit, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Hobbit macrumors member

Jun 24, 2005

I'm new to Mac and it's community although been thinking of switching for sometime now. Now i'm considering buying

12" PB as my main computer + external display at home + elgato tv to watch tv through the PB on the external display. I also would like to record tv programs on my PB and perhaps do some editing on them. Other than that the rest of my use would be word, presentations, browsing the net, music, DVD.

1) Is the 12" PB able to handle external display + elgato + recording TV progs + using the internet at the sametime without slowing down, overheating or becoming noisy due to fans blowing?

2)The alternative is to buy a 17" G5 iMac + elgato + cheap pc (non-mac) laptop. Do you think this is a better option?

Any other suggested solutions are welcome.
    Thank you.
  2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    I think you'll be fine with the PowerBook...

What processor speed is it?
  3. Hobbit thread starter macrumors member

Jun 24, 2005

G4 1.5GHz
  4. Gordy macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2005
    Bristol, UK
  5. brendel95 macrumors regular

May 23, 2005
    I would go for #2 option. There are many advantages if you have laptop+desktop. And iMac will last longer than powerbook. Personally, I always keep my system as laptop+desktop

Good luck