Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meowdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2016
So headphone jack microphone and SIM card problems aside, I LOVE the iPhone 3GS look and design, but want the power, camera, iOS 9 and Retina display of the 4s (for the screen I'll just swap lcds, they're the same size anyway) I know the logic board looks WAY different, but I'm confident I can do this. Any thoughts?

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Since I'm assuming you like smaller phones, does the rumored 5se draw any attention for you? It will have a 4" display though, but I'd say to just upgrade to this and you'll be sure to get iOS updates for years to come.

BentTable123

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2015
Wasn't the some of the prototype iphone 4 in the guts of a 3GS? I'm sure it's possible given the 3gs is much bigger. Anyways you can an iphone 4 for under $100 nowadays.

I'm not an Apple engineer, but I'm going to say this task is not possible.

meowdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2016
Ok I am curious. Did you try?
Nah I never ended up trying, since looking at the schematics and looking at the guts of both phones revealed two huge issues right off the bat:
1: This would take a ton of soldering and redirecting of wires
2: The Dock connection port would need to be flipped the opposite way of the circuit board
and a bonus issue,
3: The sim tray wouldn't be accessible without opening up the phone.

EDIT: This doesn't even list the many smaller issues such as camera placement, jamming a 4S LCD and either A: Getting it to work with a 3GS digitizer or B: trimming the 4S digitizer to fit into the frame of a 3GS comfortably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.