Put the screen to sleep only?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bumfilter, Jan 2, 2006.

1. bumfilter macrumors regular

Hello all,

I'm using a 20 inch iMac (iSight) and at night, I leave it to encode my DVD's.

I was wondering, is there someway to put the screen only to sleep and not the full machine? It is possible via the Energy Saving preferences but I don't want the screen to sleep all the time, just at night when I want it to.

Is there a keyboard shortcut or something similar that could to this?

Thanks if you can help.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

go to system preferences > energy saver > and make sure the checkmark is not set to "put hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" and move the upper slider to "never" sleep computer. leave the bottom slider set to your desired time to sleep the display.

like this:

Attached Files:

3. Fender macrumors regular

Fender

I think he means more along the lines of a button he can push and the screen goes out right then and there.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

in that case:

Attached Files:

5. dylan macrumors 6502

That puts the whole computer to sleep. He wants to put his display to sleep. At one point i had an applescript that would do this. Look over at osxhints.com

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

odd, i do this all the time, even with active running things in terminal - no interruption. it seems to take it as a command to just sleep the display as per the set preferences. i could be wrong but this is how i understood it.

7. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm trying to get the screen to switch off really, rather than the whole computer going to sleep, when it sleeps, no tasks are carried out. I need the computer to be on, just not the screen.

On PowerBook I would simply reduce the brightness until the backlight turned off but on the iMac the brightness goes down to a certain level and not to totally off.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

That's one of the things I hate about Apple hardware. There's currently a bug in Compressor/Batch Monitor where the screen won't sleep when it's processing. I have to physically pull out the ADC connector from the back of the PM G5 to turn off the Cinema Display. For an iMac, I have no idea what you could do.

You won't have to do such a drastic action. In your case, a workaround would be to keep Energy Saver in Preferences open, and when you want to sleep the display, just set the slider for display sleep to 1 min. Are you having the same issues as me?

Normally, I just leave it at 10 minutes and the LCD will sleep naturally. You won't extend LCD life by sleeping it right away in the normal course of the computer's life.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The OP did mention "I'm using a 20 inch iMac (iSight) and at night, I leave it to encode my DVD's." so I take it the iMac is unable to turn off properly. In that case, it's a known issue with Batch Monitor, so out of luck if that's the case.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

10. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think it has any problems, basically what I'm trying to achieve is switching the monitor off, either via a command or keyboard shortcut, instead of changing the timer in Energy Preferences every night.

11. ascender macrumors 68000

Am a bit confused.... I do this with mine and the only setting I've altered is the "put hard disk to sleep" thing. That way the display sleeps after a period of inactivity but the Mac itself keeps doing whatever I've left it to complete - downloading or burning usually.

12. tikka macrumors newbie

I think what your looking for is shift+option+the media eject key. this should get just the display to go to sleep.

13. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

wow this thread is old but this is one way to do it...

Attached Files:

14. dom.mason macrumors newbie

What about creating a hot corner to put the display to sleep? This is what I do on a MBP'09 so not sure if its the same on an iMac.

15. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Last post was 4 years ago dog. Yikes.