Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
I've been looking at upgrading my Beige G3, and I noticed that people here have been able to swap in G4 processors in their G3's... I'm wondering how they did this? Other than upgrade cards made specifically for the older G3's, I can't seem to find any G4 processors that would fit in the processor socket.

So, what swaps work? And are there software hacks needed as well?

Thanks for any help you can give.

madmax_2069

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2005
Springfield Ohio
livingfortoday said:
I've been looking at upgrading my Beige G3, and I noticed that people here have been able to swap in G4 processors in their G3's... I'm wondering how they did this? Other than upgrade cards made specifically for the older G3's, I can't seem to find any G4 processors that would fit in the processor socket.

So, what swaps work? And are there software hacks needed as well?

Thanks for any help you can give.

you can take the one from a yikes G4 but as i said in another post it dont work to well without the help of a L2 cache enabler. cause the OF dont have the info about a G4. it uses info for a 60? cpu wich dont work cause it has diffrent addresses than the G4 and the G3 is the same but the Beige G3 has the proper info about the G3 but still the G3 info isnt the same as the G4's info in OF.

most people are useing the sonnet or another manufacturer for the G4 upgrades and useing there supplyed L2 cache upgrade. i know sonnet makes a few G4 speed's. and i cant remember who else does. but you will have more succsess with a sonned cpu upgrade than you will with a pulled yikes cpu. i tryed the cpu out of my yikes and it worked but it didnt use the L2 cause of open firmware dont have info on the G4 and dont know the proper address of the L2. it uses the 60? info insted . i had nothing but problems with the yikes cpu in my AIO sonnets cpu enabler would not load for me and the other free one locked up on me cause it had conflits with the ati accelorator extention on boot up

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Ok, thanks, that really helps explain things. I was just looking for a small speed bump for this beige, but looking at the prices of those upgrades, it's the same cost to just buy a G4 motherboard with CPU on it. Hmm. Thanks!

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
You will need a ZIF socket CPU for the beige. The cheap ones on eBay are most likely pulls from a sawtooth motherboard and will not fit. Also take a look at your voltage regulator. If it is made by Royal Technology, it will need to be replaced. Several are available on eBay. Search for "beige VRM" and you will find them.

Check out xlr8yourmac, they have tons of info on this sort of thing. MacGurus also has a good page of beige info.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Simply look for ZIF G4 on Ebay and narrow down the categories -- that is where I found my 500MHz G4 for only like $60.

BTW: Make sure it says upgrade. Mine was an OWC (OtherWorldComputing -- macsales.com) upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.