Putting An Intel Core Solo in a G4 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iHateWindows, Mar 4, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

Is it possible to do this with extreme modification? What about an Intel Core Duo?

2. macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

You'd have to replace the motherboard, too...

3. macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I suppose if you could find the motherboard and then buy a processor on NewEgg or something and rebuilt it... but then you'd have to get a copy of OS X intel legally somehow.. you could possibly make it fit. But, the price tag would end up being close to a new mini probably.. a 1.67GHz Core Solo is $250 on NewEgg I think, and not sure how much that motherboard would cost.

Not to mention the possibility of really really screwing up everything..

Oh and I do believe the new mini has a SATA connection for the HDD, so you'd have to find a SATA laptop HDD, and the new minis have different AE and BT antenas.

So I guess.. it's impossible. The Core processor WILL NOT fit into the old motherboard.

Edit: If you really wanna mod and it don't care about your warranty, overclock the old mini, put in a faster HDD.. things like that.

4. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

yea seriously, in the end this would cost you as much as just getting a new mini. you'd basically need all the parts from a new mini, and put them in the old mini's case, and then you'd run into problems with the new ports on the back etc...

really, if you want a core solo mini, save up for one ;)

5. macrumors 6502a

Shamus

why would u wanna do this anyway....theres nothin wrong with 1.42 ghz mac mini