Putting in an Airport Extreme card into my Tibook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ITR 81, Dec 20, 2003.

1. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

How hard or easy is it?

I would like to change out my current Airport card to extreme before I go totally wireless next yr.

2. primalman macrumors 6502a

it can't be done, totally different connectors, tech and form factor. Read the documentation. You can however get a 802.11g PC-card for the TiBook.

3. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

ya third party 802.11g PC card is the only way to do it

4. ITR 81 thread starter macrumors 65816

Would turning off and on a PC card ver. be any different then using my normal airport card?

I may just stay with my reg airport card if it's too much of a hassle.

5. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

could you clarify that a little ... sorry i'm just having trouble understanding what you mean...

6. ITR 81 thread starter macrumors 65816

Basically I'm asking is will I have to use another type of interface then what I'm use to now.

Click on airport ---> turn on---> connect--> surf or whatever.

I want to keep it simple.

7. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Remember that most things one a mac are easy ... since i haven't tried it i really can't answer i guess ... i'de go into a reseller and ask... or wait out to see what some of the community has to say

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Speaking of hassle, if you are only going to surf the net then the 802.11g speeds will be 100% wasted. I call that needless hassle. However, if you are going to join local networks and transfer large files then you'll appreciate the increased speed. Even at broadband speeds, you're not maxing out 802.11b's capacity.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Exactly, if you aren't transfering large files routinely, don't worry about it. And if you are, set up a wired LAN to take care of it when you need to. You know you have 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) ethernet available on that TiBook. 1000Mbps beats the hell out of 54Mbps anyday. I'd stick with the stock solution rather than deal with 3rd party gear that is not really necessary. Just go wireless already. You'll never go back.