putting new hd in 4g 20gb....?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by apple4life, Feb 20, 2006.

1. macrumors member

Mar 18, 2004
    My ipod 4g 20gb hd crapped out and I was wondering if anyone knows how to format a new drive and get the ipod software on it once a new hd is installed. I'm debating getting a new hd for it or just selling it for parts on ebay. I want to keep it because the case is in near mint condition and it is my first ipod... I found a place with the toshiba 20gb hd for less than $100 shipped and I have already popped it open and removed the old hard drive....

so, if I get the new drive what do I do once it's installed...?
  2. macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2005
    Format the new disc, download the latest iPod updater here install it and that should be it.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 18, 2004
    Thank you Labi!

Thank you Labi... I will give that a try and bring her back to life...! She sure is pretty and I don't have a need for the new features in the 5g and even thought of buying another 4g but why do that when it's fixable... thank you again and I may be back to ask more questions if I run into problems and to report on how the operation went for those interested... it may be a few weeks depending on when I place the order for the hd and shipping time...
  4. macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2005
    Just make sure the conections to the HD are identical, cause you don't wanna end up with a new HD that won't fit into your iPod.
  5. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    i have a 3G iPod, what kind of HDD could i put in that? speed, size, etc

it would be pretty cool to have a huge HDD in an old iPod :p
  6. macrumors regular

Sep 28, 2005

I'm not sure if iPod uses the same HD as laptops use which are not too expensive. On the other hand the ones that I found here are way too expensive ($170.00 for 20gigs). As for the speed and size, the higher the better :)