Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machobson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Hey, I kinda need some help if you guys don't mind. As you can see the specs of my iBook in my signature, I want to put OS 9 back on it because Panther is too slow. I was just wondering how I do that. I have the original OS9 disks and the Panther disks. There is currently no OS 9 System folder on it. Just Panther 10.3.6
Thanks alot in advance

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Just start your iBook from the CD (hold down 'C' on startup) and install... then you should be able to choose the OS 9 folder as default start-up system... just say now to anything that warns it will delete everything on the HD (i.e. formatting and/or clean install).

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
machobson said:
Hey, I kinda need some help if you guys don't mind. As you can see the specs of my iBook in my signature, I want to put OS 9 back on it because Panther is too slow. I was just wondering how I do that. I have the original OS9 disks and the Panther disks. There is currently no OS 9 System folder on it. Just Panther 10.3.6
Thanks alot in advance
do you mena you want to put classic on it, or you want to wipe OS X and install 9 only?
If you just want classic, do a search on these forums, there have been about 1000001 threads like that!
If you just want to install 9 and wipe OS X (bad idea, but anyway..) insert the 9 discs in and reboot while holding down the "C" key, and do an install.

REM you will loose all your data it you don't back it up - OS9 doesn't have any of the multiple user stuff X does.

machobson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Thanks for your help people. And yes I want to take OS X off and replace it with OS 9. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.