Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
I have an 80 gb iPod, the newest video version. I am trying to put photos on the iPod for viewing. I was told I could go into the preferences of iTunes or, when the iPod is connected, to the i pod preferences and find a "photos" tab. I have been unable to find such a tab. Can anyone guide me on how to get photos onto the i pod? As far as i know, one cannot simply put jpeg or other photo files into iTunes.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
Once your iPod is connected and recognized, your computer should give you a screen with tabs for Music, Contacts, Photos, etc. All the things stored on your iPod. On the left side of the pane (where the playlists, etc. are) there should be an icon for your iPod. Make sure that is selected, and the screen should guide you.

If you have something different, post back with more info.

Good luck!

CommonMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2006
Midwest
Trouble with Photos

Mary, I just connected my iPod and opened the iPod preferences box. I did not see anything about photos but maybe that's because I have an older version of iTunes? I have iTunes version v4.6. I was told I may have to update to iTunes version 7, which I would like to do, but that version requires osx 10.3.9 or higher and, as you can see in my signature, I don't have that. I only have 10.3.7. Should I update my entire operating system?

Scruff

macrumors member
May 6, 2006
Yes, the only way you can do it through iTunes is by using iTunes 7, and it seems the only way to do that would be to get a more recent version of OS X. I'm not sure if you can get the 10.3.9 update without having to get 10.4.x, I'm sure you can find it somewhere.

It's always best to make sure you have the most recent version of software on your Mac, things start to go wrong when you try using new products with old software.

Still, couldn't iPods get photos back in iTunes version 4.x? Or is it just that the new 5G iPods aren't supported? Not sure about that.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
You should be able to download OSX 10.3.9 and iTunes 7.x.

I think I saw somewhere that the newer iPods required those versions to install photos and videos (not so sure about videos).

Anyway, if you have an internet connection just go to Apple.com and slick on Support to find what you need.

If not, see if you can download somewhere else and burn them to a CD...they are not too big.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
iTunes automatically found those pictures on my Windows machine under "My Pictures". But it didn't keep all my subfolders when it copied them to my iPod. I think it may have copied all the photos - but no longer organized in as many levels of folders as on my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.