Putting RockBox on my 20gb 4g B&W iPod

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by satans_banjo, Jun 6, 2006.

1. satans_banjo macrumors regular

Hi

I've been following the instructions in the RockBox wiki, but after downloading the required files I haven't got very far. Here's the page I've been following:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodInstallationFromMacOSX

The first step I needed to do was apply the FAT32 partition table to my iPod. It told me to run this command:

Code:
    dd if=mbr-xxxx.bin of=/dev/diskN
    I replaced 'mbr-xxxx.bin' with the filename I downloaded and replaced diskN with the drive name of my iPod, but it came up with 'permission denied'. So I ran it using 'sudo', entered the admin password and it came up with 'Operation not supported'. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help

2. dragula53 macrumors regular

as far as I know...

You don't have to do it that way. disk utility will let you format it as a FAT-32 (It says Windows? I think). you just have to be clever about it. instead of writing over it (dd, disk duplicate) with a FAT32 partition, that is. I erased my ipod, and repartitioned it, and reformated it.. one of those functions allowed me to change it from journaled to fat-32. It showed up as a windows formatted ipod thereafter.

But yeah, the reason it is telling you permission denied is because you entered the wrong password.

3. satans_banjo thread starter macrumors regular

Permission denied was before I entered my password - after I entered it I got 'operation not supported'

How do I do it with Disk Utility without damaging my iPod and still achieving the desired effect?

4. dragula53 macrumors regular

see above. erase, partition or format, one of those will allow you to format it as a windows ipod.

and you won't damage your ipod. ipod updater will let you reflash the ipod and start over completely, if you screw it up.