Putting the macbook to sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by farqueue, Jul 19, 2006.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

Hello, just wondering if this will have any damage on my macbbok.

I close the lid while switching classes between uni, when i get back home (macbook is still sleeping) and i just plug it into my power adaptor. Leave it to charge and sleep for the whole night, then next day use it again.

so, i havent actually "shut down" my computer for the past 7 days.... is this ok?

2. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

Yea I almost never shut mine down. There is no real reason to turn it off unless you want to.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i never used to shut my PB down and it was still going strong a year later. actually, i think i even read here on MR that it was better for OS X if you didn't shut down overnight, as that's when it "behind the scenes" updates itself.

4. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

This question made me wonder. If you leave it in sleep mode, and put it into a sleeve, do you risk causing it to overhead and damage that way? Or does it not produce enough heat to be a worry (remember, there's little airflow in a sleeve).

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Heat should not be a problem. Sleep mode essentially turns the computer off, except for a bit of active memory (I think :eek: ).

I always just put mine to sleep and only shutdown/restart when necessary.

6. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

I never turn mine off. I either let it go to sleep by itself, or make it go to sleep myself. Besides, I find the little blinking light on my iMac to be a nightlight:rolleyes: