Putting to Sleep or Leaving On?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by edge9in, Feb 15, 2005.

1. edge9in macrumors newbie

May 11, 2003
    Probably been covered before, but I was wondering...Is it better to put my iMac G4 running Panther to sleep or just leave it on? Could putting it to sleep hurt it or hurt it's performance in any way?

2. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    calgary, ab canada
    i would say if you're protected by a router, or not connected to the net in any way otherwise - yes, leave it on. it runs routines as cron jobs that clean up files and such, and maintain your computer usually in the wee hours of the morning.

i've left my powerbook and a g3 running 24/7 for 4 years now, no problems, no hardware failures. it's been all good.
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    personally i put my powerbook to sleep every night, its just what i prefer, your computer should be fine running all the time, and i know that sleeping it will be fine too, just do whatever you are more comfortable doing
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Putting your iMac G4 to sleep won't hurt it in any way. Like others mentioned it just won't be able to do routine maintenance.

If you do consider leaving it on 24/7, you might also consider folding. It will help disease research at Stanford and the MacRumors Team. :)