Puzzle Games for OS X

Discussion in 'Games' started by tomf87, Mar 25, 2004.

1. tomf87 macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    I remember playing a few games where you had to solve puzzles to get through them. Namely, they are:

The Seventh Guest
    The 11th Hour

Anyone know of any games like these for OS X? The FPS scene seems to be repetitive in my opinion, so I'm looking for games of a different caliber.
  2. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    you should try Enigmo, i love it and it's really fun and easy to make your own puzzles!
  3. JackRipper macrumors regular

May 14, 2002
    Culpeper, Va
    I second that. It's an excellent game with great music.
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The Myst 10th anniversary trilogy is available. If you've never tried Riven (I didn't see it for Mac OS until the trilogy), or Myst III: Exile, you can get them in this package cheaply. I believe you need a DVD-ROM drive, though.

I like Double, a mah jongg solitaire game, which is free.
  5. tomf87 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sep 10, 2003
    I like the looks of that game. It reminds me a lot of The Incredible Machine.

Thanks for the info, and feel free to mention some more if you have some!
  6. JBReed macrumors newbie

Jan 7, 2004
    Try enigma (not a typo, enigmo is a different game). Oxyd clone for X.
  7. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i really like puzzle games and others that make you think and lately i've been really getting into Galactica <http://www.monkeybyte.com/>. it takes a lot of thought (and a lot of time).
  8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Are you looking for games with a story, sound, and great graphics around the puzzles, such as the three you mentioned, or would any old puzzle game do? I've played both Enigma (from Freeverse) and Seventh Guest on pre-X Macs, and while they both give you puzzles, Enigma and other programs like it are strictly about the puzzle part.
  9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    If you're looking for *hard* puzzles try http://www.thestone.com. It's a web based puzzle game and it costs $20 to play for life (last time I remember). They have some demo puzzles (look at the bottom of the main page). It's super fun and you can play whenever you want (if you have net access).

But I'll warn you now. It's *hard*. :confused: :confused: :confused: :D
  10. XPelargos macrumors newbie

May 1, 2004
    Like Adventure Games?

If you want a change in pace, check out old school adventure games.

This is my favorite genre by far, and it involves puzzles, but usually in the Use Item X with item Y or
    Give Item X to person Y

but some of the best games made were adventure games.

Since you're obviously on OS X, go to
    scummvm.com and download the last build. The games I most recommend are
    Monkey Island 1 (Mac Version = Abandonware)
    Monkey Island 2 (Mac Version = Abandonware)
    Day of the Tentacle (eBay)
    Sam and Max (eBay)

Or, if you want to play Sierra's old Adventures (Space Quest, King's Quest, Hero's Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Laura Bow, and Police Quest.) All of these games are abandonware, and can be found easily.

Download Sarien, or FreeSCI Mac to play the above Sierra adventures. Good luck, and Happy Adventuring!
  11. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    Aw, I remember the Seventh Guest. Good times. I'd also recommend Enigmo, it's sort of addicting. Oh, and I love your signature! That's the greatest movie. :)
  12. mateybob macrumors member

Apr 18, 2004
    download macMAME and youve got a couple of hundred great puzzle games...