Puzzling HD issue with PowerBook 12"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by recordprod, Sep 25, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Jul 26, 2005
    Before Christmas last year my 12" 1.33 PowerBook started making scraping noises, not sounding good. The the big ? mark came up on boot up and no matter what I did with the rescue disk I couldn't format the drive etc. So it got put in the drawer and I got a MB C2D 2GHz, then another for wifey.

Anyway, I thought that the 12" was such a nice machine I should get it repaired and sellm one of the MB's (have a 24" iMac too) to get a 23" Cinema Screen. I powered up and for the hell of it tried to do a format - worked. Did a complete install. All now apparently ok.

I've got a booking to have the drive replaced on Friday but now I'm wondering if there may have just been some issue and it will be fine now.... or do I spend the cash to have it replaced? Any ideas? Very confused!

2. macrumors 65816

Oct 5, 2006
    London, United Kingdom
    Hmmm I wouldn't trust that. I'v had a similar problem with HD's before like that. Stopped working. Then months later working again and stopping again.
    Get it fixed if you can ;)
  3. macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    I have a similar issue with my 12" PB 1.33

Started making some very scary clicking sounds, and it froze up on me a couple of times. Now it's working again. My AppleCare is expired so I wasn't planning on getting it repaired. I'm planning to replace it with the next MacBook.