PVR Elgato vs Plextor

Discussion in 'Product Recommendations/Reviews' started by vannote, Jan 13, 2005.

1. macrumors member

Jun 29, 2003
    I am currently in the market for a PVR. It is currently coming down to either the Elgato EyeTV 200 or a Plextor ConvertX PX-TV402U.

I am having trouble finding in-depth reviews/testimonials on the Plextor unit or reviews that actually pitch these two against each other.

Does someone here have a PX-TV402U that would like to comment?

I will be hooking it up to a new PM G5, so the USB 2 (Plextor) vs. the FW400 (Elgato) these units offer doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Any thoughts, comments, recommendations?

2. macrumors 6502

Aug 11, 2004
    Washington DC (in Kalorama Triangle)
    I asked Elgato about this, here is their reply:

3. macrumors member

Jan 17, 2004
    Any updates? Which did you choose, and are you happy? I am looking for one now as well.
  4. macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2005
    a little help needed

I picked up a PC version of the ConvertX and now am a little stuck-- it's too late to return, and I can't buy a software license from EyeTV. I don't want to waste a $200 piece of hardware, because I can't get the software.

If anybody could get me out of this jam, I would gladly donate $20 his/her way or $45 to his/her favorite charity. You can drop me a line at: aprocon_at_yahoo

Thanks a lot.
  5. macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2005
    Elgato Registration Key

I am in the same boat as you. I purchased a ConvertX expecting I could use the version of EyeTV I have from my EyeTV 500 with the unit. I contacted both Elgato and Plextor to purchase an activation key, but neither had a process to sell one or plans to do so in the near future.

The Elgato response? "We recommend you purchase the Mac Bundle."

6. macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    I was under impression that it's same EyeTV software for all of the devices. So if you have working EyeTV on one machine is should support ConvertX?

Anyway, back to original question by vannote:

I have Plextor ConvertX and I am very happy with it. Use it on Mac and PC as well. That's main advantage over EyeTV. It terms of picture quality, it's very good.

However EyeTV 500 is HDTV compatible and still does not have broadcast flag DRM implemented so it might not be a bad idea for someone living in USA to get it before June 1, 2005.