PVR Software Recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mcmadhatter, Feb 28, 2006.

1. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

I am looking to get some PVR software for my mac, gettign the TV signal in is already catered for, so it is just a case of what software to use. Has anyone got any recommendations? I don't want to spend more than about $40/£30.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

On a Mac? Quicktime Pro let's you record and playback video

In general if you want to build a PVR then this is The way to go but may be a bit more then you asked for http://www.mythtv.org/

3. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

If you need software to control the input (i.e. change channels, timeshifting, scheduled recording) your only real OS X option is EyeTV (about US$80). If you're using a VCR to do the tuning, all you need is a capture program, and there are plenty to choose from (your AV input device probably came with some).

Like ChrisA said, MythTV really is the way to go, but that requires a PC and quite a bit of work.

4. mcmadhatter thread starter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

I had thought of doing it with my mac, but having looked at mythTv I think i'll do it with a PC I've got knocking aorund.

5. alienex macrumors regular

ive been wanting to do this as well. My brother just got a windows media center desktop and i have to admit, MCE is sweet......