Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
The Pwnage Tool is OUT NOW!
UPDATED tutorial for PwnageTool 2.0.3 on MAC

Windows Method INCLUDED BELOW!

The Pwnage Tool 2.0.3 is OUT NOW!

If PwnageTool pwned your phone correctly the first time, you do not need to pwn again with 2.0.2.

WINDOWS: You can download winpwn from www.winpwn.com to unlock/jailbreak 2.0 - 2.0.1.

If you want to jailbreak 2.0.2 then update using iTunes and use quickpwn to jailbreak. The unlock remains.

Unlock remains from 2.0.1 on 2.0.2.

IMPORTANT:

The first post in this thread is related to pwnagetool 2.0 - below refers to the previous versions although the advanced settings are the SAME on both pwnagetool versions with the exception of the inclusion of Cydia installer on pwnagetool 2.0.

PwnageTool 2.0.3 supports a beta version of Installer.

Cydia is also included and has many of the same functions and is compatible with 2.0.

Mac Guide below!

This is a very simple process. Below is a detailed guideline with FAQ and solutions to possible problems.

At the most basic level all you have to do to make this work is:

1. Make custom firmware.
2. Pwn your phone and Restore using custom firmware in iTunes.

YOU CAN DIRECTLY "PWN" YOUR PHONE AT 2.0 BY FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESTORE TO 1.1.4! IT WORKS FROM 2.0!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PWNAGE 2.0.3 FAQ AND HOW TO GUIDE

Download From:

http://xs1.iphwn.org/appcast/PwnageTool_2.0.3.tbz

There are 2 modes in the new version of pwnagetool.

These are:

Simple Mode - Which provides step by step instructions as below and automatically detects your correct firmware and adds the unlock and activation and jailbreak with Cydia automatically to your
custom firmware.

Expert Mode - Where you can adjust the settings on the various different additions to the custom firmware - if you click through and do not change anything in expert mode it will make the same
custom firmware as simple mode however doing this instead of simple mode can fix issues with
the simple firmware not working correctly. There is more on expert mode at the end of this guide.

Original iPhone: This can be unlocked and jailbreaked and activated.

iPod Touch: This can be jailbreaked.

iPhone 3G: At this time you can ONLY jailbreak and activate iPhone 3G.

Step By Step Guide to Simple Mode

Select your device type as below:

step-1.png

PwnageTool will AUTOMATICALLY search for the correct firmware for your device.

IMPORTANT: iPhone and iPhone 3G firmware is differently named.

original iPhone firmware for 2.0.2 is named iPhone1,1_2.0.2_5C1_Restore.ipsw

iPhone 3G firmware is named iPhone1,2_2.0.2_5C1_Restore.ipsw

includes FAQ now

step-1.png

This tool unlocks ONLY 2.0 firmware and activates it.

IMPORTANT:

The advanced settings are the SAME on both pwnagetool versions with the exception of the inclusion of Cydia installer on pwnagetool 2.0.

PwnageTool 2.0.2 supports a beta version of Installer. Cydia is also included has many of the same functions

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PWNAGE 2.0.2 FAQ AND HOW TO GUIDE

There are 2 modes in the new version of pwnagetool.

These are:

Simple Mode - Which provides step by step instructions as below and automatically detects your correct firmware and adds the unlock and activation and jailbreak with Cydia automatically to your
custom firmware.

Expert Mode - Where you can adjust the settings on the various different additions to the custom firmware - if you click through and do not change anything in expert mode it will make the same
custom firmware as simple mode however doing this instead of simple mode can fix issues with
the simple firmware not working correctly. There is more on expert mode at the end of this guide.

Original iPhone: This can be unlocked and jailbreaked and activated.

iPod Touch: This can be jailbreaked.

iPhone 3G: At this time you can ONLY jailbreak and activate iPhone 3G.

Step By Step Guide to Simple Mode

Select your device type as below:

step-1.png

PwnageTool will AUTOMATICALLY search for the correct firmware for your device.

IMPORTANT: iPhone and iPhone 3G firmware is differently named.

original iPhone firmware for 2.0 is named iPhone1,1_2.0.1_5B108_Restore.ipsw

iPhone 3G firmware is named iPhone1,2_2.0.1_5B108_Restore.ipsw

You can make sure you have the correct firmware on your mac by connecting your iPhone/iPod to iTunes and clicking on restore then iTunes will download the correct firmware. Disconnect your device when downloading as you don't want to restore with standard firmware!

step-2.png

If you are going to unlock your original iPhone then you will need the bootloader files for 3.9 and 4.6 - the following steps let you select them.

PwnageTool will automatically detect the bootloader files for you if they are on your mac.

Bootloaders can be downloaded from : http://www.enkrypted.com/bootloaders.rar

If you chose to manually browse for the bootloaders on your mac then follow the next steps.

If you already have the bootloaders and pwnagetool detected them then follow the prompts and continue!

step-3.png

step-4.png

step-5.png

step6.png

step-7.png

step-8.png

Click on "Yes"

step-9.png

Click on "Yes" when pwnagetool asks your if you are a legit iPhone user! (This will keep the phone locked and not activate it)

on iPhone 3G click on "yes" or you will not have a wireless signal! (NO on 3G activates the phone but as it can't unlock yet there is no signal)

If you have no signal on 3G build another custom firmware and click on "yes" this time.

to UNLOCK and activate CLICK "NO!"

step-10.png

PwnageTool will now build the custom firmware file.

This will take about 5 minutes. Be patient!

step-11.png

Your mac will prompt you to enter your password to continue - if you don't have a password
then just click on "ok" and pwnagetool will continue to build your firmware.

step-12.png

If your Phone/iPod has the pineapple logo already then pwnagetool will tell you that you have
been successful and to exit it and select the custom firmware in iTunes to restore with.

If your device has not be pwned before then click on "No".

step-13.png

PwnageTool will try and enter DFU mode so it can "pwn" your device.

It will either do this automatically or prompt you to turn off the phone and then it will tell you to hold
the power and home buttons and let go of them at certain intervals.

It will prompt you when your phone has succesfully entered DFU mode.

step-14.png

Exit pwnagetool if it gives you the success message below.

step-15.png

Using iTunes click on restore and the "alt" key and browse to the desktop and select the custom firmware that pwnagetool created.

step-16.png

Your device will restore.

If you chose automatic mode it will try and unlock your phone with bootneuter.

FOR MORE PHOTOS OF THE PROCESS PLEASE LOOK AT THE ICLARIFIED TUTORIAL AT:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1557

NEVER EXIT BOOTNEUTER BEFORE IT HAS FINISHED AND RESET ITSELF OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE PERMANENTLY!!!!

BootNeuter can take anything up to 30 minutes. DO NOT EXIT OR RESET THE PHONE.

Be patient. It should be successful so don't risk breaking your phone because you are not patient!

Old community applications are not yet compatible with the new 2.0 firmware
So you need to wait developers to update their software.

Patience, they will show up in Cydia installer

Some useful tips from the dev team:

If you get Error 1600 from iTunes (or if you see in your log a failure to prepare x12220000_4_Recovery.ipsw), try: mkdir “~/Library/iTunes/Device Support”
if that directory already exists, remove any files in it. Then re-run PwnageTool.

If DFU restores are giving you trouble, another route to pwned 2.0 for 1G owners
is to use first pwnage at 1.1.4. Once you are pwned there, you can do a normal
Recovery-mode restore to your custom 2.0 ipsw.

iPhone does *not* need to be pre-pwned to be able to DFU-restore into a pwned ipsw — it needs to be pre-pwned only for normal recovery-mode restores of custom ipsw’s.

I have moved my original tutorial for pwnagetool 1.1 to page 18.

If you chose to pwn first at 1.1.4 please follow the instructions https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5863489/.

Mail application not working at 2.0?

Please restore to your custom ipsw (you don’t
need to DFU restore if you are pwned, normal restore will work now too) but then
select “Set up as a new iPhone” when iTunes asks.

Your first sync will bring back all of your settings anyway.

My Restore Did Not Unlock/Activate my iPhone!?

When pwnagetool asks if your a legit iPhone user this it can determine whether or not to unlock and activate your phone.

If you click on "Yes" (saying you are a legit user) then the phone will not be unlocked or activated.

If you click on "No" then you will be unlocked and activated when you restore.

If that fails you can select the expert mode and just click through to build firmware without changing any settings and it will work.

I myself used the automatic firmware on my US unlocked iPhone here in the UK and it relocked the phone and did NOT activate it! I made a new firmware
and it was fine and unlocked and activated.

Likewise my 3G firmware did not activate even though it was meant to - however as we are all on legitimate 3G contracts I used iTunes to activate and cydia was there and everything else was working perfectly!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WINDOWS USERS IPHONE 2.0 UNLOCKED!:

Download winpwn from http://www.winpwn.com - it works the same as pwnagetool above but on windows!

The process is exactly the same although it is only "expert" mode.

Any questions please ask although everything does the same on the windows version as the mac version.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ

Read below for what various iTunes error messages mean and how to fix them!

Is it for Windows and Mac?

Right now it is only available for Mac. Windows version is expected in the by end of day Sunday 6th April.

Is it safer than ZiPhone/iLiberty+

Yes as it changes your file system BEFORE you restore and therefore avoids all the possible problems you can have with other methods.

Will Installer be added automatically?

If you rebuild the firmware using pwnage then 1.1.4 will have installer added to the firmware. Installer is not added to 1.2 or 2.0 beta firmware as it would not work at this time.

Can I just jailbreak ONLY?

Yes - don't tick any boxes on the firmware options and it will ONLY jailbreak your phone.

How do I pwn my phone?

Video of process courtesy of Engadget.com : http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/5/

Download the pwnage tool from the pirate bay! Do a search for "PwnageTool.app"

pineapple.png

You can download from the iPhone DevTeam site but it does not have the bootloader files you need and so it is easier to download
a complete copy from torrents.

The download without the bootloader files (which you WILL NEED to use pwnage) can be found here:

http://www.iphone-dev.org/
and
http://theiphoneproject.org/

Bootloaders can be found at: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36508&page=2

===========

ITUNES ERROR MESSAGES: WHAT THEY MEAN AND HOW TO FIX THEM!

Error 1013/1014/1015 - This error message occurs when you downgrade or upgrade to a different baseband than the firmware your restoring to has. This message does NOT mean the restore failed - it simply means the phone firmware does not match the baseband. Use iLiberty/Independence to kick the phone into normal mode and out of recovery mode and it will work.

Error 6 and 10 - This error message is because of a problem with your firmware - this message will occur most often because of using unsuitable boot/recovery images. Make a new custom firmware to fix this and use suitable boot images or use the standard images that came with the pwnage software.

Error 1603/1604 - 160? something

IF YOU ARE RESTORING TO A STANDARD APPLE FIRMWARE *NOT CUSTOM FIRMWARE"

This error is down to itunes not liking your USB ports on your computer. Use a different USB slot or a different computer if possible. That is the easiest fix!

IF YOU ARE RESTORING TO A CUSTOM FIRMWARE AFTER RESTORING FROM STANDARD APPLE FIRMWARE

IF you have pwned your phone once and then restored back to apple original firmware successfully and THEN tried to restore custom firmware you WILL get
an error in iTunes as the apple firmware "unpawned" your phone. You have to repwn it using iPwner and then you can restore using custom firmware.

IF YOU ARE RESTORING TO CUSTOM FIRMWARE AND YOUR PHONE IS STILL PWNED

See "if your restoring to apple firmware" above as it is the same issue.

BootNeuter Error 5: This is because you upgraded to the 2.0 beta firmware without unlocking first in 1.1.4 like your supposed to. You will have to restore to 1.1.4 unlocked and then BootNeuter will work.

I CAN'T BUILD MY CUSTOM FIRMWARE! WHAT CAN I DO?

Your problem is related to your Mac. It appears that for whatever reason your computer is
not mounting the image of the firmware and putting it back together so the process fails.

There may be a solution in this thread:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36525

However if there is not you have 2 options: Try a different Mac OR Wait for the Windows version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I customise my firmware to add certain applications etc?

Yes.

Can I use pwnage with IPSF unlocked phones?

Yes you can. It will from my understanding it will not touch the IPSF unlock but will unlock the phone a different way and is fully compatible.

Can I use BootNeuter without pwning? Can I use Bootneuter without a Mac?

Yes, details here: http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36528

I would however recommend using pwnage if you need to change your bootloader as it is the safest method as its fully automated and best for anyone who is not a hacker.

I have no sound/My iPhone is acting strange after being pwned successfully? What is going on?

First of all - ALWAYS set up your iPhone as a "new" phone - never restore from backup unless your phone was not previously jailbreaked!

WARNING! Restoring a backup of a previously jailbreaked phone can cause a number of issues only fixable by another restore so don't restore from a back up of a previously jailbreaked phone!

If you have set up your phone as new and are still having issues then do a full settings reset from settings>general>reset>reset all settings and that should fix it!

I PWNED MY IPHONE/IPOD WITH THE WRONG FIRMWARE! ITUNES SAYS MY IPHONE IS AN IPOD (or vice versa) WHAT CAN I DO?

MY PHONE WON'T TURN ON! ITS REBOOTING CONSTANTLY! I HAVE CONSTANTLY SCROLLING TEXT! and ANY OTHER ISSUE WHERE PHONE IS NON RESPONSIVE

You can fix this!

Put your phone into DFU mode. You can do this by pressing and holding the sleep and home button for 10 seconds WHILST THE USB CABLE IS CONNECTED AND ITUNES RUNNING from when the Apple logo appears until it dissapears and then KEEP holding the home button but let go of the sleep button - the screen will stay off but iTunes will recognise the phone.

If your phone is not recognised by Independence/ iLiberty+ you will have to manually put it in DFU - this CAN be tricky to time right but eventually you WILL get it!

Restore to apple original firmware and you can start over again!

Localization

iPhone 2.0 software DOES NOT have support for every country and there is NO patch as yet to add using Cydia however 2.0 adds support for LOTS of new countries and therefore you may not need any extra support.

Before Localizing

If you are outside one of the 'Official iPhone Countries' you will need to perform a localization of your iPhone in order for it to work. If not, SMS and Phone application will countinuously crash.

Reason is Apple has designed the iPhone to work in the following countries (including 2.0 countries).
- United States
- Canada (as the number formats are the same- but if you have any problems try localization!)
- United Kingdom
- France
- Germany
- Japan
- China
- Italy
- Austria

NEW

- Denmark
- Spain
- Finland
- Korea
- Norwegian Bokmal
- Holland
- Poland
- Portugal
- Brazil
- Russia
- Sweden

So in order to work elsewhere localization kicks in.

Localizing your iPhone

1. Go to Installer
2. If you don't have the iClarified source do the following
i. Go to Sources
ii. Tap Edit
iii. Tap Add
iv. Type http://www.installer.iclarified.com
v. Refresh
vi. Go back to Install Tab
3. Tap iClarified in the Install Tab
4. Scroll until you find the respective App Support.
>>Important: Go with the respective version!!! (ei. Firmware 1.1.4 uses App Support (1.1.4)
5. Tap it
6. Tap Install.
7. If any notice appears tap Install.
8. IPhone will download and run the package.
9. Once finished, press Home botton.
10. Springboard will reboot.
11. Power down iPhone (off)
12. Power up iPhone (on) and enjoy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the Hackthatphone guides are the best out there

http://www.hackthatphone.com/114/iphone_pwnage_mac.html

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This is pretty major.

And apparently it is being released tomorrow, according to Gizmodo.

Firmware 2.0!

Just to make it clear, they can't release 1.2.0 before Apple because its in a beta stage. Of coarse you can have it on your iPhone but only for SDK developers. Other people can have it but its better to hold off since the App Store is not even online yet. Also, I think Apple will not be happy if 1.2.0 is released before they allow it too.

iphone.luke

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
Just to make it clear, they can't release 1.2.0 before Apple because its in a beta stage. Of coarse you can have it on your iPhone but only for SDK developers. Other people can have it but its better to hold off since the App Store is not even online yet. Also, I think Apple will not be happy if 1.2.0 is released before they allow it too.

LOL who cares what Apple says, If they released the hack which is obviously against what Apple says, they will release the beta 1.2.0 if they want, Apple can do nothing about it if they are based in Russia.

So say you load this boot loader and your phone stops working right and you go to take it in for repair how do you get the original back on?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
LOL who cares what Apple says, If they released the hack which is obviously against what Apple says, they will release the beta 1.2.0 if they want, Apple can do nothing about it if they are based in Russia.

So say you load this boot loader and your phone stops working right and you go to take it in for repair how do you get the original back on?

I don't get your question

iphone.luke

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2008
I don't get your question

ZiPhone has a tool that will refurbish the software on you iphone, it undoes all the changes of the hacking.

this doesn't and it changes the boot loader image.

So say you need apple to repair your phone for some reason, they won't under warranty because it is obviously hacked... And a restore wont work with itunes because it doesn't change your boot loader.

This is definatly not going on my phone

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
iphone.luke : If you used ZiPhone your warranty is now gone!

Sigh:eek:

ZiPhone DOWNGRADES YOUR BOOTLOADER on 1.1.2 and above iPhones to 3.9 otherwise they cant be unlocked!

The change is IRREVERSABLE!

There is NO way to get back to the original bootloader.

ZiPhone can't put it back - no software can... Only taking apart your phone and hardware hacking it can get it back to 4.6 and you risk PHSYICALLY breaking your phone doing that.

The refurbish option simply reflashes the baseband REMOVING the unlock - the bootloader is even downgraded when you refurbish even if you never used any unlock before.

iLiberty+/iPlus downgrades the bootloader to a hacked version of the bootloader called 3.9FB (as in FakeBlank: as in the photo I posted above)

This hacked version CAN BE RESTORED to the original 4.6 bootloader using the iLiberty+.

ZiPhone MAKES PERMANENT CHANGES to your iPhone that CANNOT be undone! (for the millionith time in a row!)... If your never planning on returning it to Apple then dont worry but if you are then your warranty is invalid if you use ZiPhone.

As far as Pwnage goes - we don't know exactly what it does or if you can restore it to its original state.

We won't know until it is released which is why it is worth waiting.

However by unlocking/activating/JB BEFORE the phone is updated it avoids your phone getting broken because of the unlocking procedure.

I personally believe that pwnage is reversible especially when you consider that the DevTeam made special efforts to make the modified 3.9 bootloader in the first place for that very reason so it makes sense they would continue this with pwned.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007

ZiPhone DOWNGRADES YOUR BOOTLOADER on 1.1.2 and above iPhones to 3.9 otherwise they cant be unlocked!

ZiPhone can't put it back - no software can... Only taking apart your phone and hardware hacking it can get it back to 4.6 and you risk PHSYICALLY breaking your phone doing that.

The refurbish option simply reflashes the baseband REMOVING the unlock - the bootloader is even downgraded when you refurbish even if you never used any unlock before.

iLiberty+/iPlus downgrades the bootloader to a hacked version of the bootloader called 3.9FB (as in FakeBlank: as in the photo I posted above)

This hacked version CAN BE RESTORED to the original 4.6 bootloader using the iLiberty+.

ZiPhone MAKES PERMANENT CHANGES to your iPhone that CANNOT be undone! (for the millionith time in a row!)... If your never planning on returning it to Apple then dont worry but if you are then your warranty is invalid if you use ZiPhone.

As far as Pwnage goes - we don't know exactly what it does or if you can restore it to its original state.

However by unlocking/activating/JB BEFORE the phone is updated it avoids your phone getting broken because of the unlocking procedure.

I personally believe that pwnage is reversible especially when you consider that the DevTeam made special efforts to make the modified 3.9 bootloader in the first place for that very reason so it makes sense they would continue this with pwned.

UM no..., ZiPhone does not downgrade your bootloader if you do not want. Just use ADVANCE FEATURES section. Also bootloader 4.6 is unlockable get your facts straight; Geohot discovered the unlock.

As for the warranty, it is nonexistant until you activate with the legit carrier. If you never activated, then there is NO warranty.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
So I guess this means we'll be seing developers making custom OSes to put on the iPhone?

I really like the thought of having an ipsw that already is jailbroken, etc.

Sweet Deal. Those Devs are not to be reckoned with...yeah I'm talking to you Apple.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Most people do not use advanced features!

They click on "do it all" and get a bootloader downgrade whether they like it or not.

OR they click on refurbish AND GET A BOOTLOADER downgrade! Ziphone is sneaky and does it whether you like it or not unless you know what your doing which 99% of people DON'T!

Also the unlock of 4.6 isn't a true unlock as it uses the 1.1.2 baseband and geohots method is to reflash to that baseband.

Further more Ziphone has broken wi-fi on lots of phones - you just have to look at the threads on Hackint0sh!

Sure it does work most of the time but most people get downgraded sneakily and that's unacceptable!

Pwned seems to provide a fully reversible means of hacking your phone with no risks involved which is NOT the case with Ziphone or even iPlus/iLiberty even though those are reversible.

The fact is that any modification to the phone outside of the restore is risky and pwned fixes that! Its brilliant news!

As far as warranty goe- your correct that if its not activated you don't get one but some people have official iPhone contracts (like me) and are unlocked so would like to be able to restore their phones should they ever need to be fixed under warranty!

And if you don't hve a contract I would expect youwsnt the safest method to hack your phone and NOT end up with a paper weight so pwned is that!

Goldfinger

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
Belgium
Would that new BootNeuter tool allow you to go back to the 4.6 BL when you downgraded to 3.9 ? It looks like it when looking at the screenies and what some are saying around the internet. That would indeed be awesome.

sunnyDlite

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
SF Bay Area
UM no..., ZiPhone does not downgrade your bootloader if you do not want. Just use ADVANCE FEATURES section. Also bootloader 4.6 is unlockable get your facts straight; Geohot discovered the unlock.

As for the warranty, it is nonexistant until you activate with the legit carrier. If you never activated, then there is NO warranty.

Get your own facts straight. Geohot's unlock does not work on the 4.6 BL without a downgrading the baseband, so you lose functionality. Most people never click on advanced, and will get a permanent downgrade without knowing. And the "refurb" option forces a bootloader downgrade as well, so instead of making your phone like new, it's actually voiding the warranty.

Many of us do have warranties, and we like to keep them. We also like our WiFi, which ZiPhone is currently breaking and can't be fixed. There's technical info about the device calibration broken by ZiPhone. Go to http://ipluspwns.com/?q=node/184

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
saw this yesterday as well.

i'm just wondering what those of us who have used ziphone/iplus/iliberty will have to do to utilize the pwnage app. and what about all the hacks we currently have on our phones? will all that be erased?
if we can get 1.2 on our phones that'd be awesome. not for parental control or anything but for the calculator and push exchange.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003

You are forgetting that millions of iPhones came with bootloader 3.9 from apple, and therefor have nothing to worry about when using ziphone.

And if you imported an iPhone into a country where apple does not sell the iPhone, you do not have a warranty anyway.

idragon

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
will pwnage tool be available for windows for us the unfortunate that do not posses a mac?:(

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Well, this stuff is neat, but I don't expect it to have nearly the same audience that jail-breaking has had up until now.

By the time the iTunes App Store is up and the iPhone is being sold in all countries I think we'll find that far fewer people care about messing around with stuff like this.

Sure, some people will continue to do so, but it won't be the wide-spread phenomenon that jail-breaking has been.

idragon

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
Well, this stuff is neat, but I don't expect it to have nearly the same audience that jail-breaking has had up until now.

By the time the iTunes App Store is up and the iPhone is being sold in all countries I think we'll find that far fewer people care about messing around with stuff like this.

Sure, some people will continue to do so, but it won't be the wide-spread phenomenon that jail-breaking has been.
quite the contrary i think because according to what i have been reading this new tool is far more advanced then anything developed until now:cool:

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
You are forgetting that millions of iPhones came with bootloader 3.9 from apple, and therefor have nothing to worry about when using ziphone.

And if you imported an iPhone into a country where apple does not sell the iPhone, you do not have a warranty anyway.

Hmmm...sort of.

I have an original first day 8gb iPhone. BL 3.9.

i also have a recently acquired 16gb iPhone. BL 4.6.

I can easily imagine that Apple knows that no 16gb iPhones were sold with BL 3.9, and therefore if I showed up for warranty service with that 16gb iPhone and it had BL 3.9, Apple would know it had been hacked, and probably refuse warranty repair.

idragon

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008

yeah my case actually:D

distortedloop

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007

Anyone who wants a non-approved carrier will continue down the dev team path.

Anyone who wants free apps will continue down the dev team path.

Anyone who wants apps Apple won't allow on the iPnoe App Store will continue down the dev team path.

I think it's premature to say that it will be far fewer people. Let's wait and see what Apple's final App Store model is before making predictions like that.

cwingrav

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2008
I switched to OS X several years ago because I don't like having to maintain my unix machine. Now, now, I am supposed to maintain my phone?

This looks like something useful for those that want to hack their phone. For others, we are content to use a pretty darn amazing and well designed phone from Apple.

Congrats to you.

Now, please stop whining and thinking that Apple is taking over the world with evil domination plans. They are a benevolent dictatorship. I'm happy snuggled in with their vision because its pretty darn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.