Python Bursts After Trying to Eat Gator

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sirus The Virus, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was thinking before reading it if the head and not the tail burst out it'd be a Mutual of Omaha's Alien Kingdom episode....

That's truly nuts and kind of scary since there could be any number of *very* large pythons out there in the everglades. I wonder how long its going to be before someone gets hurt by one of these things.

D

3. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

4. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

5. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I must be really confused, because when I read that title the first thing I thought was that Python (as in the language) tried to eat Gator (as in spyware company). It made no sense at all. "How is that even possible?".

Now that I've read the article, I still think "How is that even possible?". That's crazy! :eek:

6. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Apparently this is the silliest animal news all week - but then...

:eek:

Well, at least they're not smart enough to make sure the food is dead before it eats. A very important lesson to learn if you wanna end at the top of the pyramid.:cool:

A

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Crazy.

That would be something if a python swallowed an alligator then eventually the alligator broke loose of the snakes body, then ended up eating the snake.....freaky :eek:

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Interesting, i use to own a Reticulated Python, donated her to the Science Museum in St Pete about 20 yrs ago. If she's still alive she could eat that thing with no problem. :eek: Glad i dont have that anymore. Fact is Man has brought all kinds of Non Native specis in his travel all over this planet. Red Ants have to be at the top of my list.

9. anotherjeff macrumors regular

anotherjeff

And that's why we chew. Thank you mother nature.

10. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

How big was it when you donated, they get up to about 30ft

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Interesting. 2 things that make me go "hmm" though about the article.

1. Why is a python as a "top down predator" significantly worse than a gator as a "top down predator"?

2. I don't think the gator "clawed" at anything as it was very dead before the python started to eat it. Maybe a claw snagged and ruptured the snakes stomach, but the gator was not alive & clawing inside the snake (which is what the article sounds like to me).

Lethal

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Did the article say the gator was "very dead" before the python ate it? I missed that part if it did. How do we know it wasn't alive?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Dead. Pythons strangle their prey before attempting to eat them. If the alligator was alive, how would the pythons mouth wrestle with the alligator's jaw? I think it burst because of the alligators spines slicing into the snake's belly.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

True enough, but the python could have thought it was dead, and swallowed it in a weakened condition, only to have it revive enough to struggle and claw.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

15. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

also, if the gator was 'alive and biting', then the python's 'breaking point' would be more likely in the area where the gator's head is, not at the height of the tail.

I side with the "already dead" school of thought.
    the death of the python is more probably caused by one of the rear leg's claw or back's spine slicing the gut, as lacero said (like other animals, they can still have jerky movements after death), or maybe even by a second gator preying upon the digesting/sleeping snake

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Now that's a definite possibility too...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

or maybe invasion is a reality series after all ;)

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It was a young only about 7-8 ft long. Last i heard was she had gotton to about 20 feet but that was years ago.

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

That's a good question. The lay-person explanation is this... It's because the alligator is native, so all of the other species have come to a natural balance over tens of thousands of years... to the point where these animals have evolved together. Other animals instinctively know how to coexist with the alligator, but they can't with the python-- it just eats them. They have no time to evolve, develop a reaction, these things just invade. It's the same situation with the Zebra Mussels in the great lakes, and those scary garbage-disposal-looking-eels that are rapidly infesting our waterways-- things that could exist fine in one ecosystem can completely and literally destroy another one. Something to think about when you're deciding what to do with an unwanted exotic pet... :mad:

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I guess that its eyes were larger than its stomach! :)

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Good point. :)

Trust me, it was dead. I grew up w/a Boa as a pet and watched it feed many times. Even something as "harmless" as a mouse could kill a snake from the inside if it wasn't dead before the snake ate it. Constrictors (like Boas and Pythons) know how to crush/asphyxiate their prey. They then release it and size it up before eating it.

I also doubt the "gator clawed its way out" part because it's not quoted. I think the report misheard or misunderstood something.

Lethal

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

nature is stunning and amazing as always. too bad its balance is put out of order by us so often.

23. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Pythons, in the everglades, in Florida, eats a gator, head explodes :eek:
    Guess I learn something new almost everyday

For some reason I was thinking of the Florida Gators football team :p

24. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I think what we can learn from this is that we shouldn't eat alligators whole. Anyone eat gator meat?

25. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Ah the wonderful creatures we have in this state. I wonder though how this fits in with the whole survival of the fittest idea. Some would argue if the python can eat the gator why shouldn't it. I am not sure where I stand. It would be interesting to see a python fight a gator.