Q for all laptop users w/12" screens

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by LethalWolfe, Feb 12, 2003.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    How is it working w/a 12" screen for long periods of time? I'm thinking about getting a laptop for internet, word, iphoto, etc. and I'm just wondering if a 12" screen would drive me nuts after a while. I've played w/12" i/Albook in stores and it didn't bother me, but I was only there an hour or so it wasn't a very through<sp?> test.

So if you laptop users could chime in w/your experiences and opinions I'd appriciate it. :)

Again this laptop would just be for basic "home" applications (I've got a PM to handle the heavy tasks)

2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I've got a 12" screen on my clamshell and while the resolution may be tiny (800x600) it's the perfect size for basic stuffs. The only thing I would give it up for would be one with a higher resolution (or a 15" Powerbook)

If you're going for a true portable, then I don't see why something bigger than a 12" screen is needed.
  3. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    I saw a 12" PowerBook and a 15" PowerBook side by side this weekend. My first reaction was cool they have a 17" Powerbook. Initially it looked that much bigger (the screen that is). When I started comparing the actual physical outer dimensions I found the difference very to be very little and unless you absolutely have to have the smallest the 15" should be more then small enough with a much much better screen. I for one am a person that likes all my electronics tiny and have very good eyesight so small letters don't bother me but I think now I would get a 15" powerbook over a 12" after they update the 15" of course.
  4. grimmace macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2003

If you think that you will have a problem viewing documents on the 12" screeen, I would not purchase the 12". From what I know, I dont see that you can use it with any apple flat panel monitors because it doesnt allow for the dvi device. Its set up only for XVGA,etc. So if you ever do get a nice apple display in the future, it wont work. Your stuck with 12" unless buying some xvga flat panel elsewhere.
  5. jkojima macrumors regular

Oct 19, 2002
    In the past 4 months I have used both a 12" iBook and a 15.2" PowerBook.
    My experience with the iBook in terms of portability was great, but I'll tell you the small screen size did wear on me. After a couple of hours working straight, my eyes would be in pain. It just started to feel very cramped.

The larger PowerBook screen is more eye-friendly for two reasons: 1, since it's physically bigger, it just feels more roomy (even though the pixel density is quite similar to that of the iBook) and 2, the higher resolution is a big plus when working in OS X. I find that, if I want to, I can just expand a Word doc to full screen and zoom in to a quite comfortable level, while still seeing the entire width of the page.

On a similar note, though I'm not familiar with the 12" PowerBook, the 12" iBook screen seemed to lose quite a bit of brightness after just a month of use. I would hope the 12" PowerBook uses a better backlight. The 15" PowerBook screen has been great in terms of brightness retention.