QS 800Mhz (2002) Overclock ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Xerocs, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Xerocs macrumors newbie

Does anyone overclocked a Quicksilver 800Mhz (2002) successfully?. I maybe will overclock my PowerMac soon...
    How high do you can get it, do i need extra cooling? And is there a tool to see the processor temp.?

thankx,
    xerocs

PS: Is this tutorial for the 800er,too?

http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~t-imai/g4de1.html

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    that page will tell you what set you need to bridge. I think all you really need is a circuit writer (i think that's what it's called). It sucks for us QS 800 owners because we only have one resistor, the 733's have 2 they can move to other locations.

You probably will need a bit of extra cooling, depending on the climate you live in. My room hits 90* F in the summer, and I need to use an extra fan to keep it cool.. that was before I did my fan changes.

www.g4noise.com has an article on someone that did some mods to quiet his QS'02, and I believe there was a temp monitor as well (where the speaker hole is)

www.xlr8yourmac.com also has links to a few other case mods.

3. Xerocs thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked UP the SMD Code (Resistor 102)

Typ: PZM10NB2 Producer: Phi Base: C Case: SOT346

Typ for comparing: 10V 0.3W zener

Only got to go to the next microelectronic reseller and buy a bunch of them (under 10¢ for one)

One question, would a 80x80mm Fan with ~2-3000 rpm got for cooling, or do I need some more...(Air: around 53 m³/h (31.2 cfm))

4. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I noticed that when I removed the speaker on my QS that air started being sucked in through the hole. I wonder how that affects the cooling. Obviously if it's drawing air in on its own, it's getting a little more flow.

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

For the 80mm, im using the EverCool FAN-AL8025B 2500RPM, 32.5cfm, works really good, except, even though the db is lsted around 25dba the pitch is higher than the OEM 80mm (mine started to make that wierd whirling noise)

[hr]
    I read somewhere that removing the speaker and leaving the grill open disrupted the the airflow somehow, something about pressure gradients or something... ill try to find the article if anyone wants.

6. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Hmmm...maybe so, but there's not any fans near the opening, and the suction was strong enough to hold a piece of paper against the hole by itself. Maybe it effects the pressure around the chip or something?

7. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

I was thinking about this over lunch, the 120 pushes 100+cfm (if i remember right) the 80 pushes about 30, and the PS (i dont remember) but i dont think it even equals the 120's power... so it might not be a bad idea to have the port open... and I thought that if you put a flexable plastic hose and direct it towards the drives, that might help keep the entire case cooler. That in addition a modified HS shroud, should direct the airflow to the most important places.

have you measured the temps with the hole covered and when it's open?
    that might be good for the QS owners, if it helps cooling, then it may redux the the fans rev'ing up when folding or some other intensive process... if i can borrow an IR thermometer, ill post some temps.

8. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

USA Help

Anyone know of a good place to order these little zeners?

It has been a while since I have worked seriously with electronics, and damned if I haven't forgotten where I used to order from.

Max

9. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I don't have a decent thermometer available. Incidentally, I've never noticed my QS being loud and revving up, like I've heard many complain about.

10. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Lucky! :D
    yeah, i didn't get the jet engine til the 80mm cpu fan decided to make that annoying buzzing/whirring noise.. that's when i started down the path of modding... i reality, it's not that noisey (my friend has a mdd, and that's even louder) but compared to my mom's p4 it's about twice as loud...