Q's on nose surgery

Discussion in 'Community' started by ravenvii, Jul 6, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    When I was 10 or so, I broke my nose. It never healed right. 11 years later, people are suggesting that I get a nose surgery to correct that, because I never was able to breath properly through my nose since. As it's been years, it doesn't really bother me, and the only way you can see the breakage is if you look closely - the nose is not exactly straight.

So I'm wondering, what will happen with a surgery of that type? What will they do, and what kind of hell would you expect to go through afterwards? Recovery time? Just wanted to see if it's really worth it, because currently I don't think it is - at all.
  2. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    If your broken nose is actually causing you breathing difficulties, then insurance should cover the cost. That would be a diagnosis made by your surgeon. Otherwise it would be cosmetic. It's a personal decision. If it bothers you, then it would be well worth having the surgery. I haven't had the surgery myself. Have taken care so patients that had the surgery.

Good luck with decision making process, I realize that it isn't something to take lightly. Let me know if you have any questions. ;)
  3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Seven weeks recovery? Wearing glasses taped to the forehead?

Thanks for the link, wdlove. Now I know I ain't gonna bother.
  4. millar876 macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2004
    Peterhead, Scotland UK
    sounds exactly like the situation i had but my breathing was so affected that i had it fixed within a year of my nose being broken.

THOS IS NOT MEANT TO PUT YOU OFF, ITS JUST MY EXPERIENCE. And any breathing rocks and can be recommended (highly) even more so when you regain the choice of " i think i'll breath through my nose for a while"

1st. to correct a deviated septum (boney bit in the middle that makes airway in the nose) they will have to cut into the lining of your nose and remove the damaged septum, reshape to fit (properly, i.e. b4 it was broke), then stitch/suture it back in. and here is the fun bit... because its bone and so small a piece, they cant surgically refix the bone, so they hold it by sewing the lining into place and packing your ENTIRE nasal cavity.

2nd. when you wake up afterwards, you feel horrid, bad headache x100, but then comes the drugs... aaaahhhhh morphine :)

3rd. you wont stand for a while, simply because your balance will be shot for 2-3 days

4th. removal of the packing. Boy dose this feel weird. the packing is in LONG piece and kinda like a tampon(ish) and they pull one side and you can feel it go up one nostril around near one sinus, round the back of your throat(at the top of your mouth where you can feel when you suck in snot) and out the opposite side. Like i said it feels weird but kinda cool.

5th. swelling from cheek to cheek, and they didn't touch the outside of my nose, all internal.

As i said after all these things are far outweighed by being able to breathe properly again.

p.s. sorry if i veered off a bit, <sarcasm>13 hr night shifts rule </sarcasm>
  5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    Just don't do it 50 times or more.

I would say that this is one of the situations where Rhinoplasty(?) is a good idea, if it is medically feasible and would make you feel better I would go with it. If it is not something that you feel you need personally, as opposed to what others may suggest, consider whether or not it is really worth the month of uncomfort.
  6. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    you probably don't need a rhinoplasty, just a correction for your deviated septum...a rhinoplasty would be an option if there was something odd looking about your nose from the outside. somtimes these will be combined in conjunction with a deviated septum surgery or even a sinus surgery, but in your case you could just do the deviated septum correction. see the above post by millar.
  7. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Ya, that would do it for me as well.
  8. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    If you really think your breathing is really disturbed because of the break see if insurance will pay for it, if it really bothers you, get it fixed. I guessing the surgery would cost around or less than $3,000 (i'm guessing). If your self-consious of the look of your nose go ahead with it- make yourself feel better.

After the procedure you will be in a lot of pain. I don't really think there are many plastic surgeries that involve little pain. I know quite a few people who have had plastic surgery. One person I know who had a nose job says she loves the results but she would never do it again because of how much it hurt.

As for recovery time I would guess a 3-4 weeks (for almost total recovery).
    Its not like you have the surgery and your out for a month. You could probably have it done and go back to work a week later.

Plastic surgery is improving and improving. You can now get a face lift and litterally two days later go back to work with minor bruising and swelling (they cut along your hairline and behinf your ears- put a special glue on your skull- pull, and set your face in place- and then use stitches that will dissolve)

What you should really do is see consult with plastic surgon if you are at all intrested and want to spend the $$$. And make sure you get a good one that will preform the surgery in a hospital- never use one that works in a clinic. Also watch a little Discovery Health.
  9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Maybe my experience wasn't typical but I was doing pretty well, except for a couple of things unrelated to the surgery on my nose (septoplasty and rhinoplasty.)

I went into outpatient surgery about 8:30 a.m. and changed clothes.

By 10:30 a.m., I was in the operating room, fully under anethesia.

By 01:00 p.m., I was in the recovery room waking.

By 02:00 p.m., I was home, lying on the couch and able to do minor things.

By 05:30 p.m., I was in the emergency room because I had corneal abrasions, not directly due to the surgery by an accident of some sort.

The next morning, I went to the doctor's office to have the bandages (due to the accident) over my eyes removed and have the gauze packing in my nose changed.

The next week, I had the packing changed again.

The 3rd week, I returned to work and home. I managed to overdo things and found my nose bleeding long enough that I went back to the emergency room. I was over-exerting--they tell you not to do that. I felt fine...except for the bleeding. Packed again.

The 4th week, I was unpacked again and I went home. I was shooting the basketball and bounced it off my cast. I felt pain. That's another thing that you're not supposed to do.

The 5th week, my cast was removed.

The 6th week, I shot baskets again and guess where the basketball landed? :D Some people never learn soon enough. It didn't break anything.

My breathing has been improved and the doctor "threw in" the cosmetic surgery but he didn't put it back to the original shape--he did what was convenient and simple.

I was bruised for a while but all-in-all, it was a great, almost painless process.
  10. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    I don't think it'd be worth it. Seven weeks is a long time to recover for something so minor in a way.
  11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    If it's actually impacting your breathing, I would do it. 7 weeks recovery in exchange for improved breathing for the rest of your life? An easy decision, IMO.
  12. runninmac macrumors 65816

Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    I too would do it for better breathing the rest of my life.
  13. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Huh, there are some real lazyass people here. If it's affecting your breathing, get it done. Or, I guess, take their advice, develop some sort of apnea-related disorder, and die of resperatory failure at age 38, while asleep in bed. that's so much better than 7 weeks of recovery time. Jeez.

No offense to you, i've had mine broken 3 times now, and i'm looking at the surgery to have it cosmetically fixed... i can breathe fine now, but that'll probably change as i get older. It's just, the number of people I know with apnea because of nasal problems, that either could have been corrected with surgery, or by stopping the cocaine use (eek). My dad never cared about how his nose had been broken either... then his snoring got bad... then one night his heart almost stopped because he wasn't breathing. Couple years ago, they had to rebuild his sinuses from the skull outward. Now *that* kind of surgery will hurt.
  15. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Seven weeks is not a long time at all! If you feel better, it's worth it. I have arthritis in my knees and guess what the recovery time is on that operation? Six months! And that's not even a permanent fix. They'll have to go in again at some point. I haven't done it yet, but when the pain gets to be too much I will. Six months is worth it. Seven weeks is most CERTAINLY worth being able to breathe properly.
  16. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Aug 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    When I first read the title I read it "Q's nose surgery" so I thought it was going to be a story about Dr. Q's nose surgery (if he even had one).
    My Uncle has the exact same problem, and would like to get it done one of these days. Only problem and why I would never get a nose surgery is what if they mess up? Micheal Jackson come to mind? (j/k)
    If it is noticeable go for it. If you need a microscope to see it don't bother.
    Just my opinion,

llama :)
  17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It made a huge difference for me. I can actually breathe through my nose because my septum was something like 85 percent blocked. I wouldn't go back to the other way and my surgery was virtually painless and considering that it happened in 1987. Wow...all those years of being able to breathe well has been wonderful.